Angelfish in a 130 litre Aquarium

Dragonslayer
I'm getting a 130 litre Aquarium for Christmas and I was wondering how many angelfish I can keep in there along with 10 cardinal tetras 2 bristle nose plecos 10 bounos aries tetras and 6 corydora catfish?

How many angelfish can fit in aqua one horizon 130?

CrazedHoosier
I'm getting a 130 litre Aquarium for Christmas and I was wondering how many angelfish I can keep in there along with 10 cardinal tetras 2 bristle nose plecos 10 bounos aries tetras and 6 corydora catfish?

What are the dimensions of your tank? My short answer is no angelfish. They like to be kept in groups and should have a 55+ gallon tank to be successful. That said, maybe your tank has the correct dimensions to keep a group.

There are many other cool fish you can put in a tank that size, too.

Dragonslayer
What are the dimensions of your tank? My short answer is no angelfish. They like to be kept in groups and should have a 55+ gallon tank to be successful. That said, maybe your tank has the correct dimensions to keep a group.

There are many other cool fish you can put in a tank that size, too.
The dimensions of the tank are 36x92x42 cm what other cool fish would you recommend?

CrazedHoosier
The dimensions of the tank are 36x92x42 cm what other cool fish would you recommend?

So yes, your tank is unfortunately a bit too small for angels.

Pearl, thick-lipped, honey, and three-spot gouramis, are great fish to keep. Colorful, nicely sized, and very intelligent. Pearls and honey like to be kept in groups, so get 1 male and then however many females you feel like getting. Well, aI'm for a group of less than 8.

Bolivian rams, cockatoo apisto, curviceps, and kribensis, are other great community cichlids!

Gregs76
I will have to agree with the post above too. 130 is way too small for angels. I kept a pair in a 200 and I felt like that was pushing it. My male is over six inches tall now, and they need quite a lot of length in addition to height to swim. You could maybe get away with a pair of apistogramma or another dwarf species in a tank that size, but I think that you might already be at your bioload limit with your current stocking and having two bnp. What is your filtration like?

Dragonslayer
So yes, your tank is unfortunately a bit too small for angels.

Pearl, thick-lipped, honey, and three-spot gouramis, are great fish to keep. Colorful, nicely sized, and very intelligent. Pearls and honey like to be kept in groups, so get 1 male and then however many females you feel like getting. Well, aI'm for a group of less than 8.

Bolivian rams, cockatoo apisto, curviceps, and kribensis, are other great community cichlids!
OK thank you, you have been a great help

I will have to agree with the post above too. 130 is way too small for angels. I kept a pair in a 200 and I felt like that was pushing it. My male is over six inches tall now, and they need quite a lot of length in addition to height to swim. You could maybe get away with a pair of apistogramma or another dwarf species in a tank that size, but I think that you might already be at your bioload limit with your current stocking and having two bnp. What is your filtration like?
Ok then that fine, my filtration is very good.

I'm trying to create a biotope mimicking south America what would be good plants to add in it?

CrazedHoosier
I'm trying to create a biotope mimicking south America what would be good plants to add in it?

Pretty much any of the sword plants. Amazon sword, rosette sword, etc.

What? You literally just asked this and the answer was “none”.

Crispii
None. 55 gallons should be the minimum, unless you have the intention of breeding angels.

Mcasella
None on angels.

Any swords there are some smaller growing some larger, lots of driftwood -root/trunk shaped are better.

chromedome52
Actually, I looked at the other thread, and I would disagree that you can't keep angels in a 130 litre aquarium. That's over 30 gallons, and the dimensions were roughly the same as a long 30 gallon tank. I've kept 5 young Angels in such a tank until they started pairing off, then it was cut down to a pair with other fish in the tank. People keep them in 29 gallon tanks all the time. Though the length of the tank is a bit short, there is more depth.

I strongly disagree with the idea that a 55 gallon tank is minimum for keeping common angelfish. BTW, they are only sociable when young, as adults they tend to pair off and separate from the others.

You can keep 3-4 young angels in that tank, which is slightly larger than a long 30 gallon tank. However, if/when two of them pair off, the others would have to be removed.

bizaliz3
Two could POTENTIALLY work in a tank that size. (Personalities vary quite a bit) BUT not when it already has 20 schooling fish in the middle. I wouldnt add angels to this tank personally.

Coradee
**Threads merged**

Dragonslayer
Actually, I looked at the other thread, and I would disagree that you can't keep angels in a 130 litre aquarium. That's over 30 gallons, and the dimensions were roughly the same as a long 30 gallon tank. I've kept 5 young Angels in such a tank until they started pairing off, then it was cut down to a pair with other fish in the tank. People keep them in 29 gallon tanks all the time. Though the length of the tank is a bit short, there is more depth.

I strongly disagree with the idea that a 55 gallon tank is minimum for keeping common angelfish. BTW, they are only sociable when young, as adults they tend to pair off and separate from the others.

You can keep 3-4 young angels in that tank, which is slightly larger than a long 30 gallon tank. However, if/when two of them pair off, the others would have to be removed.
OK thank you for your advice I already have a baby juvenile angle in a 60 litre Aquarium when I move it over to the 130 litre and add another would they attack each other?

CrazedHoosier

You can disagree all you want, but that doesn’t make you correct. You’re going off experience and trying to pass it as facts. The fact is, angelfish in the wild maintain structured social groups. Yes they pair off to breed, but they come back to their groups after that short breeding period has ended.

Just because everyone else is doing something, doesn’t mean you should do it too. 29 gallons is only just getting by for an angelfish.

Fish0n
For context I keep a pair of angelfish in a 46 gallon. They were adopted along with 2 others from a very overstocked 30 gallon tank (I have since found a good home for the others but the lady I got them from didn't want to separate them even though there was excessive amounts of bullying happening). The 2 I rehomed had shredded fins and severe stress stripes.

While natural behaviors is what I think most fish keepers seek to achieve in their tanks I don't think that means a fish cannot always live a happy life with out their wild complex social groups.
I think a more common and more inappropriate situation is too many young angelfish in a small tank who then grow up and bully each other. It is often suggested to get many young fish but have a solid backup plan because they won't be young for long.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bopsalot
Replies
Views
EmbersToAshes
  • Question
Replies
Views
Luzanne
Top Bottom