Angelfish In 29g

Salty Betta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey all,

Background: 29g tank, 5 zebra danios, 1 electric blue acara, 1 three spot gourami. 2 filters. Totally nonaggressive and peaceful tank.

So I was thinking can I maybe add an angelfish in this tank? If you guys were following my last post you would probably know that I sadly lost 6 neons recently, possibly due to neon tetra disease. I have almost gotten everything cleared up and the tank back on track. Since now I don't have any small fish I was thinking should I get an angelfish. I just love there long fins and colors. The only thing I am worried about is blue acara since there both cichlid. Would it be fine with the acara?? If so, which kind should I get, I'm totally new to angelfishes, so yeah ;(. I kinda want one of the bigger angels with long fins.

Thank You

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I personally wouldn't.
1. Angels grow big, and IMO do better in larger tanks.
2. EBA and angel is such close quarters
3. Zebra danios prefer cooler water while angels themselves prefer warmer
4. Gouramis and angel mix are prone to problems

IMO, its best if you consider getting Angel if you ever get another tank or ever upgrade to a larger tank...

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
aussieJJDude said:
I personally wouldn't.
1. Angels grow big, and IMO do better in larger tanks.
2. EBA and angel is such close quarters
3. Zebra danios prefer cooler water while angels themselves prefer warmer
4. Gouramis and angel mix are prone to problems

IMO, its best if you consider getting Angel if you ever get another tank or ever upgrade to a larger tank...
Agree, besides that Angels are social fish and should be kept as groups when juvenile and have space to pair of. A single angels will be quite a-social and a 29G too small.

MissRuthless

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I predict an eventual murder or two in your tank if you add an angel. Just saying. Your acara and gourami will both grow to a good 5-6" also, making your tank a pretty tight fit without any tankmates. They may not be aggressive now but they are known to be as they mature - I once had an opaline (variation of three spot) that I had to sell as he killed or tried to kill everyone he lived with, including angels, kribensis, pictus cats and a school of neons. Your danios may become snacks one day too, though they are much faster than gouramis so perhaps they can avoid that fate.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not to mention the various, possible ph conditions/alignment as well. Angels can near triple in size in about a year, thus I agree with the other posters.

Salty Betta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh oh well rip my angel stocking idea lol...well, are there any other bigger ciclids that i can get?

Edit : Can i actually keep 2 JUVENILE angelfish in my 10g gallon, and than move them to my 29 gallon tank once they are filly grown. I have above average filtration capacity as I run 2 filters.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your problem isn't them being juvies, rather once they are adults.... If you ever get another (larger) tank, maybe get them then?

Salty Betta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
aussieJJDude said:
Your problem isn't them being juvies, rather once they are adults.... If you ever get another (larger) tank, maybe get them then?
Ahh hmm i see, do you have any suggestions for another bigger kind of cichlids that I can get? I was thinking about texas or red parrot but they kinda get too big too, dont they?

Salty Betta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
hey guys, I decided to get my hands on Rainbow cichlid, they are very peaceful, not much terretorial and over all kinda laid back. My fish store said they only have 1 of it left so I am gonna go get it in an hour or two.

I was wondering whether I should quarantine it for a month in a 10 g tank?? or would it become stressed as it would be the only fish in the tank even though its just for a month??

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom