Angelfish Hiding All The Time Now.

1. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Initiate Member

My angelfish are hiding all the time now. Not sure why.... PH is good, Ammonia is good, I check both twice a week. I change 15% of the water once a week. They come out to feed, and feed well and act normal when they are feeding. But rest of the time they just hide at the bottom around the décor. They've just started doing this in the last month or so. They've been in the tank for nearly a year and I've not added any new fish and none have died. Totally puzzled.....

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

How many angels in the tank and what size is the tank? Any other fish? Any decor? What are all of your parameters exactly?

3. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

I just dont see how, in at least 75% of cases, a 15% water change is enough for Angels in a week. I read over and over, in various sites, that Angelfish should not have nitrates over 20ppm. That over time, they will succumb to parasites and bacteria, if kept under these conditions. I dont see how one can keep their nitrates under 20pm (in a tank that is not heavily planted with plants), with a 15% weekly water change.
    What is your nitrate level right before you do your water change?

4. OP
    OP
    Gray Farms

10 angels, 6 medium and 4 large "not breeder size yet though". Also one small pleco and one small cory cat. No other fish. Tank is a 55 gal. 1/2 natural gravel substrate "river rock or pebbles". Décor is 2 pieces of Malaysian driftwood and several assorted plastic plants. Temp is 76 degree. PH 6.6, Ammonia nearly 0%.

Nitrate level is unknown.

5. D

That is a lot of fish- undoubtedly your nitrates are high. Pick up a nitrate test- it really helps to check periodically how healthy your water is ( and your fish.)
    Here is the fix, unless, of course, they are already sick: Start changing out 75% of your water weekly to lower nitrates. Thats all. You will be amazed at the difference in the vitality and growth of your fish.
    Try to get the water you replace as close in temperature as the water you took out- within 2-3 degrees. Make sure you dont have a big ph swing from tap to tank. You do this by testing ph out of your tap. Let it sit out for twenty four hours and then test the ph... if it is within .4 degrees you can change water as often and as much as you like.

6. OP
    OP
    Gray Farms

I miss spoke. I change 15 gallons weekly. So like 25% or so.

I let my water set at least 24 hours to come up to room temp so not so much of a temp drop. I do test the tap water PH "after it's come up to temp" and it always runs high, to I always ad PH down before I put it in. Also add conditioner of course and some bacterial supplement.

7. D

How high is your ph without the ph down?

8. OP
    OP
    Gray Farms

Over 8.0, darker than the chart goes really. But the tank stays around 6.4-6.6

9. D

I have heard that using these ph adjusters can become problematic, I dont have enough knowledge of them to comment, but will call to other experienced members who can help you. @TexasDomer, @Sarcasm Included, @OnTheFly

10. OP
    OP
    Gray Farms

Is there any other ways to drop the PH? Besides the chemicals?

11. Aquaphobia

Don't mess with the pH. The fact that it drops so low in the tank could either be due to CO2 offgassing or the nitrifying bacteria working overtime to use all the fish waste and using up the carbonates in the process.

What is the pH of your tap water after it's sat out but just before you add it to the tank?

You definitely want to change more water than you are currently. Especially with that many fish. What about aggression among your angels? They are very territorial fish and having so many in only a 55 gallon could cause issues.

12. OP
    OP
    Gray Farms

Would it be better to change like 35 % twice a week or 75% once a week?

13. Aquaphobia

Depend on what your parameters are. I would also fix the stocking issues though.

14. OP
    OP
    Gray Farms

Ok, so I checked the nitrate level yesterday before the water change. It was at 60, haven't checked the new nitrate level yet. I changed 65% of the water yesterday. And I reduced the number of fish to 4 large and 3 mediums. So far no improvement. But its not quite been 24 hours yet either.

Also wanted to thank everyone for their help, tips, information, and guidance so far.

15. Aquaphobia

I would not keep more than 2 angels in that size tank. Especially if they're a mated pair.

16. t

tjander Well Known Member Member

Correct me if I am wrong but dont angle fish normally do better in a higher PH. Mine are kept in 7.5 ph. Have been for years...
    I have stopped trying to adjust my ph with chemicals and just let the ph go with what I get out of the tap, which is 7.5. If I need it higher I add crushed coral...

17. Aquaphobia

No, more acidic conditions are found in their native habitat. Unlike African cichlids which tend to come from higher pH mineralized waters, American cichlids tend to come from waters made acidic by tannins from rotting plant matter.

However, unless it's at an extreme I do agree with you about not messing with you pH ;)

18. OP
    OP
    Gray Farms

My tap water PH is off the little chart right out of the tap. I've always dropped it down some before adding to tanks.

They did seem to be a little more active today. But sit at the bottom most of the time still. And the usually stay relatively close together as well. They don't fight at all.

19. Aquaphobia

Off which chart? What is your pH exactly?

20. OP
    OP
    Gray Farms

Its darker than the chart in the PH test kit goes.