Angelfish has white bumps near the eyes!?

Hemikyle

Reaction score
Hi everyone! So one of my favorite fish in this tank is having white bumps near its eyes ill post a picture below. I just noticed it today and wanted to know what you guys think it might be. Hopefully nothing serious. Any advice or suggestions would be very helpful right now thank you!

Water Parameters
76°F
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm - (its a planted tank never really had a lot of Nitrates, do weekly water changes and the tank has a low stock of fish. The tank has been running for well over a year)

Attachments

OP
Hemikyle

Hemikyle

Reaction score
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 60G
How long has the tank been running? Well over a full year
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 76°F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
- 2 harlequin rasboras - 3 diamond tetras
- 3 roseline sharks - 2 kuhli loaches
- 1 brittlenose pleco
- 1 koi angelfish

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? weekly
How much of the water do you change? 25%
What do you use to treat your water? Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? vacuum

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes
What do you use to test the water? api test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
pH: 7.6

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? once daily
How much do you feed your fish? a small pinch
What brand of food do you feed your fish? omega one
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Just tried freeze dried today.

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? ive had the angelfish for about 6 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? today
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?white bumps near eyes
Have you started any treatment for the illness? no
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Nothing changed as behavior just the bumps near the eyes.

OP
Hemikyle

Hemikyle

Reaction score
Hello, So I recently noticed my Koi Angelfish has white bumps near his eye. I need help and suggestions or thoughts on what this could be?

Tank Temp - 76°F
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm - (nitrates have almost always been 0ppm it is a planted tank, low stock, we do weekly water changes about 25% & we have had the tank running for well over a year in case you are worried about it being 0ppm)

Attachments

Newbie1234

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I can't see very well, do you mind taking a photo close up?

As far as I can see it looks like Ich I may be wrong tho

OP
Hemikyle

Hemikyle

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking but wouldn't ich be more like little bubbles kinda and not a white raised bump? Ill see if I can get a closer picture today.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My impression is also ich, but the spots do look larger than most ich I've seen. The white spots are not the parasite, they're the fish's reaction to the parasite, so it's possible different fish have different looking spots. If it is ich you will know soon since the spots will multiply rapidly.

OP
Hemikyle

Hemikyle

Reaction score
GuppyDazzle said:
My impression is also ich, but the spots do look larger than most ich I've seen. The white spots are not the parasite, they're the fish's reaction to the parasite, so it's possible different fish have different looking spots. If it is ich you will know soon since the spots will multiply rapidly.
Do you think i should wait or do something? Meaning salt? Heat? Ich treatment?

GuppyDazzle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was going to suggest waiting until tomorrow morning to see if there were any changes, but I Googled "ich on angelfish" and the images had larger white spots than what I've seen. I think that's ich.

Has there been a change with water or new inhabitant added recently? It sounds like you do a good job maintaining your tank so it doesn't look like water is the issue.

I've never used salt but from what I've read it works. I had one ich outbreak I treated with medication, another time I treated with heat. All the methods are effective. I'd recommend not combining methods. It's tempting to throw the kitchen sink at it, but it won't be any more effective but it will add stress for your fish. The best method depends on the situation. I'm sure there are several good explanations on this website.

The information will talk about the life cycle. Most of the ich life cycle is invisible. Once the white spots appear, the parasite has been infecting the fish for some time, and there are probably zillions of little nasty critters in the water column, at various stages. Whichever method you choose, make sure you continue the followup treatment after the white spots fall off, because then you have to start killing the invisible bugs. I've always treated for an extra 10 days, but some folks recommend going two weeks after the white spots fall off.

OP
Hemikyle

Hemikyle

Reaction score
GuppyDazzle said:
I was going to suggest waiting until tomorrow morning to see if there were any changes, but I Googled "ich on angelfish" and the images had larger white spots than what I've seen. I think that's ich.

Has there been a change with water or new inhabitant added recently? It sounds like you do a good job maintaining your tank so it doesn't look like water is the issue.

I've never used salt but from what I've read it works. I had one ich outbreak I treated with medication, another time I treated with heat. All the methods are effective. I'd recommend not combining methods. It's tempting to throw the kitchen sink at it, but it won't be any more effective but it will add stress for your fish. The best method depends on the situation. I'm sure there are several good explanations on this website.

The information will talk about the life cycle. Most of the ich life cycle is invisible. Once the white spots appear, the parasite has been infecting the fish for some time, and there are probably zillions of little nasty critters in the water column, at various stages. Whichever method you choose, make sure you continue the followup treatment after the white spots fall off, because then you have to start killing the invisible bugs. I've always treated for an extra 10 days, but some folks recommend going two weeks after the white spots fall off.
Will do ill keep a close eye on the angelfish see if anything gets worse. The only thing I changed was adding some more plants but that's it.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's impossible to know for sure, but if the plants came from a tank that had ich present, it's possible that brought the disease in.

I would recommend beginning treatment ASAP. Ich can be deadly, but it pretty much depends on how soon you begin treatment. I had a couple nasty outbreaks and most of my fish survived, but I lost probably 10% of them.

OP
Hemikyle

Hemikyle

Reaction score
GuppyDazzle said:
It's impossible to know for sure, but if the plants came from a tank that had ich present, it's possible that brought the disease in.

I would recommend beginning treatment ASAP. Ich can be deadly, but it pretty much depends on how soon you begin treatment. I had a couple nasty outbreaks and most of my fish survived, but I lost probably 10% of them.
What would you recommend first? Heat? Salt? Ich treatment?

GuppyDazzle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hemikyle said:
What would you recommend first? Heat? Salt? Ich treatment?
I would recommend reading about the different methods either on this website, or there are countless other sources that will have that information. I almost Googled the treatment methods to make a recommendation as to what will work best in your situation, but that really is something you should do yourself.

OP
Hemikyle

Hemikyle

Reaction score
GuppyDazzle said:
I would recommend reading about the different methods either on this website, or there are countless other sources that will have that information. I almost Googled the treatment methods to make a recommendation as to what will work best in your situation, but that really is something you should do yourself.
Got it thank you so much!

OP
Hemikyle

Hemikyle

Reaction score
UPDATE!
Angelfish appears to be losing symptoms of the white bumps should i proceed with the heat treatment like I was planning on to be safe?

OP
Hemikyle

Hemikyle

Reaction score
hello everyone! So I made a recent post regarding my Angelfish and how I noticed bumps. I've had a couple people tell me it was ich so I decided to act and do a heat treatment. My tank finally reached 86°F after about 2 days. I went to my Local Fish store, and talked to them about it they said it doesnt look like ich, and what it is will go away, if not they said to use general cure? What should I do? They also said it might be an internal parasite?

Pictures are below.

Attachments

Cody

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well your LFS told you it’s fine and it will go away, use general cure, or internal parasite. So it doesn’t sound like they really had a good idea.

for ICH it’s strange that it’s only the 3 spots and not anywhere else or on other fish. Ich will eventually fall off and continue to reproduce and spread. So while the fish may continue to have spots, those same 3 shouldn’t be there for a week straight either. but new spots could appear

You’ll have to research diseases that look like ICH to get a better idea. I honestly do not know what that is. I would be careful doing treatments regardless of its heat or meds without having some confidence what it is. All treatments do induce some stress in the process of healing so you don’t want to crank the heat up thinking it’s maybe ich and find out it’s a parasite and do treatments for that too and back to back with the heat. The shorter and more direct the treatment is the better the chance for the fish.

OP
Hemikyle

Hemikyle

Reaction score
Cody said:
Well your LFS told you it’s fine and it will go away, use general cure, or internal parasite. So it doesn’t sound like they really had a good idea.

for ICH it’s strange that it’s only the 3 spots and not anywhere else or on other fish. Ich will eventually fall off and continue to reproduce and spread. So while the fish may continue to have spots, those same 3 shouldn’t be there for a week straight either. but new spots could appear

You’ll have to research diseases that look like ICH to get a better idea. I honestly do not know what that is. I would be careful doing treatments regardless of its heat or meds without having some confidence what it is. All treatments do induce some stress in the process of healing so you don’t want to crank the heat up thinking it’s maybe ich and find out it’s a parasite and do treatments for that too and back to back with the heat. The shorter and more direct the treatment is the better the chance for the fish.
Okay. I have a feeling it isn't ich. The white spots are disappearing. And the angelfish was starting to make me nervous with his mouth breathing so im starting to slowly drop the temperature. Idk what it was but its going away now.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom