Angelfish has ulcer on side of head

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by redapples21, Apr 21, 2012.

1. r

redapples21 New Member Member

Hi all,

I need some help and I am hoping you guys are the right people to ask.

I have a tank of 150 litres, it currently has 2 angelfish and one albino cory. Our newest angelfish (we've had it 2 months) has developed an ulcer in the side of the head. (Pictures attached) I only noticed it a week ago and I don't really know how to treat it, I've read many forums about the treatment of ulcers and am thinking I will go with medicated food, Pimafix or melafix but thought I would ask advise of the experts before I go ahead.

Up until last week we had an extremely hyper angelfish and now he just hangs around the top of the tank, he's not able to eat and shys away from attention whereas before he would swim up to the tank window.

I'm new to keeping angelfish but our oldest one is showing no signs of being affected and has been very healthy!

Help please!

Attached Files:

2. Wendy Lubianetsky

Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore. I hope we can answer your questions here for you.

Redapples21, could you let me know what your parameters are in your tank: Temperature, Ph, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate levels. It would help possibly diagnose the poor Angelfish's condition.

3. nippybetta

nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Melafix will not hurt your fish. It worked wonders on one of my angels. I'm just not sure if it would help either. Sorry, but I'm not an expert on ulcers.

4. OP
    OP
    r

redapples21 New Member Member

Thank you for your interest and reply in my thread. Unfortunately, as I woke up this morning, my angelfish had died. I have to say I am a little relieved as it won't be suffering anymore.

5. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Sorry you lost your angel. If you haven't already I would do a large water change and gravel vac to be on the safe side. I have been seeing an increase of flesh eating bacterias with angels.

If even the slightest sign it is returning, purchase the strongest antibiotic you can find.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice