angelfish hanging at the top? Help

1. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

i have an angelfish juvie hanging at the top f the tank. its also breathing kind of heavily. i've also noticed red in there fins but it looks more like their coloring. i can do params but i dont have a nitrate test. its 6 angels dime size in a 29 feed twice a day with decap brine shrimp and water changes every other week. i have plenty of airation and a lot of floating plants.

2. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

With 6 angels in a 29g I'd start doing weekly water changes, at the very least. Clean water is the best remedy to most illnesses, and prevents them as well.

3. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

oops i meant every other day!!!!

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Can you get a reading for ammonia/nitrites to start off? Those can kill faster than nitrates and by the description you are giving, sounds like ammonia

5. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

it died during the water change! i can test tomorrow.

6. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

It definately sounds like ammonia poissoning to me. When you are first cycling a tank or add fish causing spikes, you really need to test the water everyday. The first thing I do when I get up in the morning is test all my uncycled tanks for ammonia and nitrite and nitrate. According to the reading, I make the appropriate water changes. A lot of times I will end up changing 80% of a 60 gallon tank to get the parameters back down to where I want them (0-0-20). On my cycled tanks, I test the nitrate everyday and make water changes accordingly. On the tanks where I have my most sensative fish, I do water changes whether the reading say it needs it or not. I have 7 tanks, so I do a lot of water changing. But, I haven't lost a fish in a year because of it (except for the tetra that disappeared). Without a test kit, it is almost impossible to tell where you are in the cycle, if your nitrate it high, or if you are spiking. Let us know what your readings are tommorrow and we can go from there.

Sorry you lost your fish.

7. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Dime sized angels are extremely sensitive to water parameters. As you are seeing symptoms of distress, I suggest daily water changes and smaller feedings. Being in a planted tank it would be easy for uneaten food to decompose unnoticed.

As the one dimer died closely monitor the remaining angels. It is possible he was diseased and the others could be affected.

Good luck.

8. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

this tank is cycled so i dont know where you got the idea that it isnt. the tank only has floaters no plants on the bottom bc its bare bottom. im going to get a nitrate test kit today.

9. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

oh no!!! Im sorry he passed :(

Mini cycles can occur sometimes without us knowing. Nitrates are a result of waste usually an with a bare bottom tank, im sure you would see if you have any. Test your tap water too as that can change on us as well.

10. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

i tested and its
    ammo- less than .25 but not 0
    nitrite-less then .25 but not 0
    nitrate-less than 5 but not 0

11. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Id try hard to find some prime and start with daily water changes. Something went off on the cycle and to keep your babies safe, you need to get it re cycled :(

12. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

arg! but this is like the tail end since nitrates are present and there are barely any of the other 2. would they be ok for the nigh if i overdose on prime after feeding? i dont have time to do a 50% water change right now.

13. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Unfortunately I can speak from experience; just because there are nitrates and no nitrites does not mean it is the tail end. My tank has been cycling for a month with nitrates and ammonia less than 0.25ppm, but it won't finish cycling.

I don't think you need to overdose unless the parameters are WAY out of whack, which it doesn't sound like they are. I would just dose for the full volume of the tank.

14. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

well this is just a mini cycle. the 2 filters were cycled when i put them on and were in a cutteri cichlid grow out so i though for sure they'd have enough beneficial bacteria in them. i did a water change. like 9 gallons. i dont know exactly what percent that was but it had to have helped.