Angelfish Gulping At The Surface

Allison_829

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
hey all, my angelfish Sushi seems to gulp for air all the time. Currently: Ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 5, pH 7.6, temp 79. (I do not know the hardness, I just ordered a test kit for that) I have a 60 gal tank, 2 airstones, proper filtration, 3 live plants... what could be causing this? He eats ok, he poops ok, and this seems to have been going on for a while. But he looks stressed and it's making me stress. Any ideas?

Attachments

Allison_829

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That's what I was thinking; except he is the only one doing it out of about 10 fish. he does it before and after partial water changes, 100% water changes, etc., so I'm not so sure if it's an oxygen issue

Aquaman9101

Valued Member
Reaction score
Allison_829 said:
That's what I was thinking; except he is the only one doing it out of about 10 fish. he does it before and after partial water changes, 100% water changes, etc., so I'm not so sure if it's an oxygen issue
How large are the companion fish? Big animals require more oxygen. What's the tank's size? Small tank lose oxygen fast. Both of these don't seem entirely plausible, as 100% water changes would solve oxygen issues temporarily if the tank is too small. Maybe there's some sort of parasite latching on to the decor? It may be a disease, but I don't know any diseases that result in increased oxygen demands. I hope your angelfish gets well soon!

Allison_829

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks! Update: he’s still doing it....
I have a 65g (not 60 as previously stated) not much difference....
Ph, ammo, nitrites and nitrates all within normal limits.... kh and gh appear to be a bit lower that what they should be (about 50 ppm) so I’ve added coral to filter.... we’ll see what happens....

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom