Angelfish Grudges?

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by Jenova, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Jenova

Jenova Valued Member Member

Have folks had angelfish that absolutely, and very specifically, loathe one another?

Some background: I got this gold and gold marble as half-dollar-sized younguns at the same time back in February. They were clearly grouchy with each other in their 10 gallon QT tank, but I thought maybe that was an issue of tight quarters.

After 6 weeks I added them to my juvie angel tank with my batch of Philippine blues. I'd still see the gold chasing the gold marble to the back of the tank, to the point where I'd only see the marble out front at mealtimes and at night after lights-out. Note that at max, there were 8 other angels in there, none of which got so much attention from the gold.

In April the gold (male) paired up with my blue ghost, so I moved them into one side of my divided 60 gallon that I set up for breeding pairs. Since all of the angels were getting towards adult size at this point, I put some of the blues in the other side of the 60 to continue mingling and pairing off. No sweat from the gold and his lady, they went about their business and have laid a couple of clutches of eggs. (Can't get them to not eat them all after 36 hours, but that's a different story...)

This weekend, the gold marble (also male!) decided to pair up with a blue zebra, so I did some shuffling and put them in the 60g, divided from the gold and the blue ghost. As soon as the gold realized the gold marble was in the other half, he marched to the divider and began to display his aggravation. As before, he spends a lot more time being angry about it than the marble, but the marble will still waggle his fins at the gold from time to time, too.

I don't have another tank to put one pair in at the moment, but I'm going to try to separate them ASAP. It's just a little startling to me how much the gold hates this one fish. XD Is it perhaps because they look a little similar? Is this kind of grudge common?
    gold-marble-adult.jpg aurum.jpg

2. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

It is not a grudge, since there are females the males are going to argue over them because if they seem unworthy to their current mate she will leave them for the other male. Females generally decide who they want as the father of their offspring and males compete. The gold male likely senses somethign from the gold marble male that makes him feel threatened, also coupling with similar colors - some angels don't like certain colored angels (I had a gold female that went out of her way to murder a pinoy angel, she was fine with any angel as long as it wasn't darker colored).

3. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

Angels are so funny like that aren't they! lol
    My first guess was that they have similar appearance to one another. What would be interesting to see would be if you had put the two of them into a tank with other golds and gold marbles when you moved them from QT. Would the gold have still focused on that one specific gold marble? Or would he no longer recognize him from the other gold marbles? You know?

Beautiful angels by the way!

4. OP
    OP
    Jenova

Jenova Valued Member Member

Yikes!! I haven't seen that kind of violence yet, although the marble was getting very pecky with the two male Pinoys in the group tank before I moved him and his new mate out.
    On the other hand, one of those male Pinoys was in the divided 60 before, and the gold didn't give a flip! So perhaps appearance does have something to do with it, and/or maybe there are some different pheromones or whatever in the water now that there are two actual mated pairs in the tank...

Thanks! :) I'm kinda curious to test the similarity thing, too, lol. I do have a young gold pearlscale who didn't raise any flags from the adult gold, but it's probably too young to matter :p If it turns out to be male, I may have to do some tests for science :emoji_nerd: (And I'd like to see his reaction to some other color male, too!)

5. xapoc

xapoc Valued Member Member

I had 2 males that paired up, at the time I didnt know, I introduced female, and they nearly destroyed her. I ended up donating all 3 to 2 different LFS.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice