Angelfish getting red marks

Flippy23

Hi all,

I have noticed that my angelfish has started getting some red marks on them, there looks like there is one in the body, kind of in the shape of a spiral, or circle, and then another at the base of his dorsal fin, they are pretty faint, but if there is something wrong I would like to try and catch it early. He is active, and is always hungry, and isn’t displaying any weird behavior right now, but the marks have me concerned. The only other fish in the tank are some black neons so I don’t think there is bullying. I added him to the tank after it had been cycled. My ammonia is 0, nitrite 0, nitrate ~20 (tap water has 20 nitrate in it) and ph is 8 which I know is a bit high, but the store that I bought from said that’s what ph they kept their angels in as well. I’ve attached some pictures, could someone tell me if there is anything wrong with him/what I should do please?

Madchild57

Flippy23 said:
Hi all,

I have noticed that my angelfish has started getting some red marks on them, there looks like there is one in the body, kind of in the shape of a spiral, or circle, and then another at the base of his dorsal fin, they are pretty faint, but if there is something wrong I would like to try and catch it early. He is active, and is always hungry, and isn’t displaying any weird behavior right now, but the marks have me concerned. The only other fish in the tank are some black neons so I don’t think there is bullying. I added him to the tank after it had been cycled. My ammonia is 0, nitrite 0, nitrate ~20 (tap water has 20 nitrate in it) and ph is 8 which I know is a bit high, but the store that I bought from said that’s what ph they kept their angels in as well. I’ve attached some pictures, could someone tell me if there is anything wrong with him/what I should do please?
Angelfish will occasionally experience color changes, especially if they're young. Your angel has some red near the head, it could just be changing some pigmentation. If there's no weird behavior, it's probably fine. Just watch for behavior changes.

Top Bottom