Angelfish Genetics

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by Jensmomof4, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Jensmomof4

Jensmomof4 New Member Member

I have fry from my blue marble pair. What can I expect the fry to be. They are currently 2 weeks old, some look like they will be gold while the majority are starting to get some marbling.

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

The gold ones could be from one of the marble parents having the golden gene.

3. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Unless you know the genetics of the parents you are going to be guessing until they start developing.

4. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Since the parents are both Blue, and that gene is recessive, all the fry should be variants of Blue. Marble is a dominant gene, it expresses with one gene or two. However, usually single gene Marble have lighter marbling. Gold is a recessive gene, and requires two genes to be expressed. Therefore, both parents would have to be carrying a hidden Gold gene for any fry to come out gold, and they would appear in a 1/4 of the fry. However, gold angels with Blue are usually just a silvery, or Platinum, coloration. These fish are very desirable to some people.

The fish may have other genes as well, there aren't very many lines out there that would be that pure to have just those characteristics.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice