Angelfish Gender?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by Joseph28, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Joseph28Valued MemberMember

Hey everyone, i’ve been struggling to tell if my angelfish are male or female, any guesses?

Attached Files:

2. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Angelfish cannot be sexed accurately without seeing a breeding tube.

I can't even make a guess with that photo. You are very far away from the fish and they are very small and blurry in the photo.

can you get some close up pictures? Most specifically of the area where the breeding tube would be (which is right about where the poop comes out)

3. Joseph28Valued MemberMember

Would this be good? I just got them yesterday so i’m curious on their genders. I’m still pretty new to angelfish but they seem to stick together so that could be a great sign on male and female

Attached Files:

4. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

They are young and not showing their breeding tubes. So they cannot be sexed at this time. Sorry.

As for hanging out with one another...that has nothing to do with anything. They are young angels, in a brand new environment, and they are keeping each other company and feeling safer as a result. Simple as that.

You said you think it is a"Great" sign that you have a male and female...does this mean you are hoping for a breeding pair?

5. Joseph28Valued MemberMember

Ahhh okay got you but i wouldn’t say a breeding pair but i would want them to be as friendly as possible so that’s why i’m hoping for male and female. Breeding would be amazing though

6. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

They will terrorize any other fish you have if they do end up being a breeding pair and spawning. Do you plan to keep other fish? A breeding pair of angels does not make for a friendly peaceful community.

Also... breeding pairs often break up over time and start harassing each other sometimes relentlessly.

In other words...a breeding pair does not equal a peaceful long term situation.

7. Joseph28Valued MemberMember

Yeah i’m planning on upgrading my tank later on in the future so when i do see things like that happening i could distribute them within my other tanks and even give some away to relatives. That’s great to know though, i honestly never knew that

8. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Ya...a lot of people think angels pair for life. But its simply not true. In the wild they can just break up and go their separate ways and choose new partners. In a tank they are stuck together. So when they decide they are done with eachother...it can get ugly. I had a female murder her Male partner with a couple nasty blows to his side. It damaged his swim bladder and he never recovered. It was a real bummer. They were a happy couple for quite some time.

9. Joseph28Valued MemberMember

That’s crazy... i’m really sorry for your loss... and sorry for a very late response, i think one of my angels laid eggs but i’m not sure if it was them or the Gouramis

10. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Pics of the eggs?

11. Joseph28Valued MemberMember

I’m not sure if they’re gourami eggs bc gouramis make a bubble nest type thing BUT i see a lot of bubbles bc of my bubbler and my filter and they look similar to where the eggs are

Attached Files: