Angelfish Gender?

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
15,398
Reaction score
18,927
Location
Minnesota
Experience
5 to 10 years
Angelfish cannot be sexed accurately without seeing a breeding tube.

I can't even make a guess with that photo. You are very far away from the fish and they are very small and blurry in the photo.

can you get some close up pictures? Most specifically of the area where the breeding tube would be (which is right about where the poop comes out)
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
Joseph28

Joseph28

Active Member
Member
Messages
126
Reaction score
15
Would this be good? I just got them yesterday so i’m curious on their genders. I’m still pretty new to angelfish but they seem to stick together so that could be a great sign on male and female
 

Attachments

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
15,398
Reaction score
18,927
Location
Minnesota
Experience
5 to 10 years
Joseph28 said:
Would this be good? I just got them yesterday so i’m curious on their genders. I’m still pretty new to angelfish but they seem to stick together so that could be a great sign on male and female
They are young and not showing their breeding tubes. So they cannot be sexed at this time. Sorry.

As for hanging out with one another...that has nothing to do with anything. They are young angels, in a brand new environment, and they are keeping each other company and feeling safer as a result. Simple as that.

You said you think it is a"Great" sign that you have a male and female...does this mean you are hoping for a breeding pair?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
Joseph28

Joseph28

Active Member
Member
Messages
126
Reaction score
15
Ahhh okay got you but I wouldn’t say a breeding pair but I would want them to be as friendly as possible so that’s why i’m hoping for male and female. Breeding would be amazing though
 

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
15,398
Reaction score
18,927
Location
Minnesota
Experience
5 to 10 years
Joseph28 said:
Ahhh okay got you but I wouldn’t say a breeding pair but I would want them to be as friendly as possible so that’s why i’m hoping for male and female. Breeding would be amazing though
They will terrorize any other fish you have if they do end up being a breeding pair and spawning. Do you plan to keep other fish? A breeding pair of angels does not make for a friendly peaceful community.

Also... breeding pairs often break up over time and start harassing each other sometimes relentlessly.

In other words...a breeding pair does not equal a peaceful long term situation.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
Joseph28

Joseph28

Active Member
Member
Messages
126
Reaction score
15
Yeah i’m planning on upgrading my tank later on in the future so when I do see things like that happening I could distribute them within my other tanks and even give some away to relatives. That’s great to know though, I honestly never knew that
 

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
15,398
Reaction score
18,927
Location
Minnesota
Experience
5 to 10 years
Joseph28 said:
Yeah i’m planning on upgrading my tank later on in the future so when I do see things like that happening I could distribute them within my other tanks and even give some away to relatives. That’s great to know though, I honestly never knew that
Ya...a lot of people think angels pair for life. But its simply not true. In the wild they can just break up and go their separate ways and choose new partners. In a tank they are stuck together. So when they decide they are done with eachother...it can get ugly. I had a female murder her Male partner with a couple nasty blows to his side. It damaged his swim bladder and he never recovered. It was a real bummer. They were a happy couple for quite some time.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
Joseph28

Joseph28

Active Member
Member
Messages
126
Reaction score
15
bizaliz3 said:
Ya...a lot of people think angels pair for life. But its simply not true. In the wild they can just break up and go their separate ways and choose new partners. In a tank they are stuck together. So when they decide they are done with eachother...it can get ugly. I had a female murder her Male partner with a couple nasty blows to his side. It damaged his swim bladder and he never recovered. It was a real bummer. They were a happy couple for quite some time.
That’s crazy... i’m really sorry for your loss... and sorry for a very late response, I think one of my angels laid eggs but i’m not sure if it was them or the Gouramis
 

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
15,398
Reaction score
18,927
Location
Minnesota
Experience
5 to 10 years
Joseph28 said:
That’s crazy... i’m really sorry for your loss... and sorry for a very late response, I think one of my angels laid eggs but i’m not sure if it was them or the Gouramis
Pics of the eggs?
 

LynnInColorado

New Member
Member
Messages
24
Reaction score
16
Location
Near Denver
Experience
More than 10 years
I have angelfish eggs! With no desire for more fish, I will probably let nature take its course. Will try to add a photo of the angelfish eggs. Seven months ago I purchased 4 quarter-size Platinum angelfish and 3 quarter-sized Goldens for my new 75 gallon community tank. One Platinum died and I gave 1 Platinum, (who was part of a threesome), and 1 Golden (who was chasing other angels) to a friend. The Goldens each paired up with a Platinum and began protecting their chosen halves of the tank. Today I saw eggs on vertical Jungle Vallisneria leaf!! The other pair came over to sniff around (very unusual), and were gently chased off. The pair without eggs, as far as I know, are hunkered down at the base of some plants. AND...about a month ago I noticed a new Panda Cory about 1/3 the size of the rest. Busy goings on. Stay tuned.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
209
Guests online
2,632
Total visitors
2,841

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom