40 Gallon Tank Angelfish gel like substance by pectoral fins, now not eating

Runandbhappy
Hi! My angelfish that has been happy and healthy until two days ago is having an issue. There is a clear gel like substance between her (?) body and the start o her pectoral fins on each side. Her feces is a long clear string. She is no longer eating since i noticed this and is acting differently and uncomfortable. Yesterday I treated the tank with melafix and Pimafix. But, i have no idea what the problem is and how to help her. Called several different fish places and know one really knew but some guessed bacterial and some guessed fungus infection. Reading about melafix and pimafix, so many opinions said that doesnt help much if any and i am not even sure if i have the diagnoses. Hoping for help to help her. First time on this site and posting. Thank you for reading and for any info you can provide. Will post pics now.

Jo7984
Your bio states you dont understand the nitrogen cycle.
It's really important that you read up on this.

I'd also say to complete the emergency template to give a big picture of what's going on in the tank.

Mlou
Check your water reading...do you have an API test kit for ammonia, nitrite etc. It looks like a fungal infection to me so any of the Ich meds can help. But before you jump into meds, it's better to fix your water issue and see if clean healthy water can resolve it. Angels are tough fish so it can resist a lot of things.

86 ssinit
What it could be is hexamita. Has it been eating? First I would put it in its own tank and treat with metro and salt 1 tbs per 10g. A 10g would be fine. Have you ever acted a fish.

Runandbhappy
86 ssinit said:
What it could be is hexamita. Has it been eating? First I would put it in its own tank and treat with metro and salt 1 tbs per 10g. A 10g would be fine. Have you ever acted a fish.
Thank you for your response. No, she has not been eating. I have treated the tank with AGC and tried to feed medicated food with that also and tried with Metro with Garlic. But she will not eat. Do you think the salt bath would help. I am reading so many conflicting opinions and ways of doing the salt that I can figure out what is best.
Mlou said:
Check your water reading...do you have an API test kit for ammonia, nitrite etc. It looks like a fungal infection to me so any of the Ich meds can help. But before you jump into meds, it's better to fix your water issue and see if clean healthy water can resolve it. Angels are tough fish so it can resist a lot of things.
The water is kept very clean. I think it is an internal parasite issue. Treating the tank and feeding medicated food but she is still not eating.

86 ssinit
Ok if it hasn’t been eating the white poop could just be from not eating and just the minerals in the water going through the stomach. So I would do the metro and just try salt. Go to 2 tbs per 10g and raise the temp like 4 degrees.

Runandbhappy
After treating tank for ppossible parasites with AGC, and other fish with metro in their food, my angelfish was still not interested in food. We syringe fed her metro and the next day, yesterday, she was finally intersted in food again and would try to eat a flake but just spit it back out and give up. This food was not treated. Wanted her to have it like she is used to eating it so she would eat it. Why can't she swallow the food? Any experience and advice with this would be appreciated! The first pic is her today and the second is from last week. Since she was syringe fed the metro, she has less stringy waste but still has a little sometimes. And the clear gel like substance on both of her sides under pectoral fins where they come out from her body is still there. That showed up at the same time as the stringy white/clear waste last week. Thank you for reading and for any info you can provide!

Pwilly07
Runandbhappy said:
After treating tank for ppossible parasites with AGC, and other fish with metro in their food, my angelfish was still not interested in food. We syringe fed her metro and the next day, yesterday, she was finally intersted in food again and would try to eat a flake but just spit it back out and give up. This food was not treated. Wanted her to have it like she is used to eating it so she would eat it. Why can't she swallow the food? Any experience and advice with this would be appreciated! The first pic is her today and the second is from last week. Since she was syringe fed the metro, she has less stringy waste but still has a little sometimes. And the clear gel like substance on both of her sides under pectoral fins where they come out from her body is still there. That showed up at the same time as the stringy white/clear waste last week. Thank you for reading and for any info you can provide!
Please fill out the emergency template.

Latest threads

Top Bottom