Angelfish Fungus. Help

1. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I am struggling to get a picture as I have sand substrate and you just can't see it.

I have a 75 Gallon which had a GBR, 2 Gold Rams and three Angels. About a week ago I lost the GBR. I watched her slowly die that day and it was awful but, the rest of the fish all seemed fine. Last night I fed them as usual, spent an hour watching them swim about happily before going to bed.

This morning I awoke to two dead Gold Rams and angelfish with what looked like fungus on their ventral fins so I did a big water change and decided on a course of Melafix. I added the correct doasge and went to feed my son, about 40 minutes later I noticed the fungus was considerably worse and had hair like strands coming off them with what also looked like fungus on them.

During the course of the day, one Angel has lost an entire ventral fin and half of the other, another has both ventrals "blowing" in the current, and the other has thick white fluff along both it's ventrals. They all now have the same fungusy growths on the tips of their caudal fins which was not there this morning.

I have been keeping their water pristine with 30% water changes every other day since I got them as they had nipped fins, bent dorsals and broken ventrals.

My parameters are all normal
    Ammonia 0ppm
    Nitrites 0ppm
    Nitrates 5ppm
    pH 6.6
    Temp 85f

This seems to be very aggressive and I don't know if melafix is strong enough to work.

please help! any advice is really appreciated, I feel like I am loosing my whole tank :( x

2. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Hi, first I would turn down the temp (slowly over a few hours and get it to about 80).
    I think if it is this aggressive you need something like kanaplex. Fungus especially loves the warm temps so, imo, it is important to bring down the temp.
    If this is a bacterial infection, the cooler temps wont hurt either.

3. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

That's great, I'll start lowering the temperature. It was only high for the rams and now they aren't with us anyway!

I have found Kanaplex on eBay and ordered it however, as I am in the UK I am having to have it shipped from the US. The estimated delivery is 25th July! I fear by then it will be too late. So shall I lower the temperature and treat with melafix in the mean time? Is there any other good fungus treatment? I will buy them all if I have to!

Thank you for your help.x