Angelfish Fry

1. Dp8006 Initiate Member

I come over to a great suprise my angelfish eggs appeare to have hatched or whatever fish terminology is used. Anyway it's fairly close to the tanks Aqueon 55/75 hob filter should I go ahead and unplug it so they don't risk a chance of getting sucked into it? I've never had this experience I'm a little nervous and excited at the same time any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all

2. Lchi87 Fishlore VIP Member

Congrats on the fry! I'd put some clean, unused pantyhose over the intake to keep them from getting sucked up or put them in a breeder box if you have other fish that might eat them. Good luck !

3. SuzanaBanana Member Member

Congrats!!

4. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

bizaliz3 can help. She has been raising angel fry for a while. Hopefully she will see this and come to help. Alison:;hi2

5. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

congrats on the angelfish fry! How big is the tank? What other fish are in there with them? Is there any chance you can set up a small tank for just the fry? they will need daily water changes because they are very sensitive at that stage.

Have you had baby fish before? With my baby angels I had to hatch live baby brine shrimp because they were very picky eaters for the first few weeks.

As for the HOB filter, I use pre-filter sponges on mine. However I ended up moving my fry into a smaller tank and just used sponge filters instead of HOB filters. How many babies do you think you have?

6. Dp8006 Initiate Member

The parents are in a 30 long aquarium. I was planning on moving them to a larger tank this weekend but this might delay my plans till they grow a little more. I've taken the other fish out and the parents seem very protective even blocking my view as I look into the tank and tapping against the glass when I moved in close to look. I've thought about just leaving them with the parents this will be their second batch of eggs. I think they may have eaten the first. I guess I'll take the advice of using pantyhose on the filter intake. At what stage do I need to start feeding them?

7. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

It is fun to watch the parents try and learn to be parents :) I am sure you will enjoy that! Even if the babies don't make it this time around. The parents will lay more eggs for you in 10 days anyway lol.

You should start feeding them about 24-48 hours after they start free swimming.

How many do you think you have?

8. Dp8006 Initiate Member

I'd be afraid to say the Amazon sword leaf their own Is full of fry. I'm not sure how many there is for sure lol

9. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

So right now they are at the "wiggler" stage? When did they start wiggling? when were the eggs laid?

Are you able to put together a shrimp hatchery before they are ready to start eating? They typically start swimming about 7-8 days after being laid and they will still be feeding off their yolk sac for a day or two after they start swimming. So you might have a few days still to try and put one together :)

If you want survivors, you will definitely need to do water changes daily.