Angelfish fry! Help!

Blueyedgirl316
Okay so I have these two angelfish who connected very quickly. They previously laid eggs and ate them. This second time around I honestly thought they ate them again. So I get home today and look in my tank and low and behold I have free swimming fry in the tank! (See photo) Mom is definitely a protective little lady now! Fed the parents earlier and she was gonna take my finger off I have never done any of this before and any advice or help would be so appreciated! I have decapsulated baby brine shrimp in my fridge if that is a good idea to feed them? Thank you in advance ☺ They are so stinking cute!

Linda1234
It is best if the first couple of feedings are live because the baby depend on movement to chase/eat the food. If they are willing to eat non-live food then hiraki first bite or golden pearls or similar powder food is sufficient. If the parents are caring for them then they will make sure they get fed. The tank they are in looks pretty sterile so i'm not sure there is much bio-film the frys can eat. Also it is pretty important to not over feed them and to keep the water very very clean. The frys are much more sensitive to impurities in the water than the parents and decaying food is a major problem.

Anyway i would feed them powder food before i would feed them frozen brine shrimp but if you can hatch or obtain live bbs that is a bit better. Note that you want baby brine shrimp as regular brine shrimp is too large. They wont' require food for about 24 hours after they go free swimming as they are still consuming their egg sacks.

Also it is better to feed them 5 or 6 times a small amount. Over feeding is a major problem with frys so the servings should be relatively small.

GlennO
Yes try them on the decapsulated eggs. Powdered fry food. Finely sieved hard boiled egg yolk is an option that they will pick at if nothing else is available. Looks like they are already free swimming. They would have been wrigglers for at least a few days it's surprising that you didn't notice them.

Blueyedgirl316
GlennO said:
Yes try them on the decapsulated eggs. Powdered fry food. Finely sieved hard boiled egg yolk is an option that they will pick at if nothing else is available. Looks like they are already free swimming. They would have been wrigglers for at least a few days it's surprising that you didn't notice them.
Thank you for the advice! I have been working 10s all week. Plus my aquarium lights shut off on a timer. I honestly had thought they ate the eggs previously. Next time I’ll try to be more observant after I know they have laid eggs. They seems to be really good parents. At first I thought they were eating them but instead they put them in their mouth and then spit them back out into the group.

Dunk2
Blueyedgirl316 said:
Thank you for the advice! I have been working 10s all week. Plus my aquarium lights shut off on a timer. I honestly had thought they ate the eggs previously. Next time I’ll try to be more observant after I know they have laid eggs. They seems to be really good parents. At first I thought they were eating them but instead they put them in their mouth and then spit them back out into the group.
Are the Angelfish and fry the only fish in this tank?

Blueyedgirl316
Linda1234 said:
It is best if the first couple of feedings are live because the baby depend on movement to chase/eat the food. If they are willing to eat non-live food then hiraki first bite or golden pearls or similar powder food is sufficient. If the parents are caring for them then they will make sure they get fed. The tank they are in looks pretty sterile so i'm not sure there is much bio-film the frys can eat. Also it is pretty important to not over feed them and to keep the water very very clean. The frys are much more sensitive to impurities in the water than the parents and decaying food is a major problem.

Anyway i would feed them powder food before i would feed them frozen brine shrimp but if you can hatch or obtain live bbs that is a bit better. Note that you want baby brine shrimp as regular brine shrimp is too large. They wont' require food for about 24 hours after they go free swimming as they are still consuming their egg sacks.

Also it is better to feed them 5 or 6 times a small amount. Over feeding is a major problem with frys so the servings should be relatively small.
Thank you so much for the tips and advice! I very much so appreciate your time. I’ve been observing them and the parents are really great! At first I thought maybe they were eating them but upon more observation they are putting them in their mouths and then spitting them back into the group. Quite fascinating for sure! I do have power decapsulated brine shrimp. What I did yesterday was let the power sit in a little tank water for about 5 minutes since it is decapsulated food. Although I will look into live baby brine shrimp. I’m also curious about water changes. From everything I’ve read about water changes is that they are sensitive. Is doing a 25% water change necessary when they are that itty bitty? I definitely want them to grow up healthy.
Dunk2 said:
Are the Angelfish and fry the only fish in this tank?
They are with their parents and that’s it.

Dunk2
About water changes. . . Like so many things in this hobby, you’ll get different opinions.

I’ve done water changes every 2 - 3 days for my Ram fry and they’ve done well. Water changes aren‘t the easiest thing to do with fry in the tank, but putting a nylon stocking over the vacuum will prevent them from getting sucked up.

Flyfisha
I have not tried to breed or raise that species.
A local club member was changing some water every day when he was breeding them successfully in multiple tanks.
For a single tank a plastic jug may allow for fast removal of water?

Top Bottom