AngelFish fresh water

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by asan0623, Jun 29, 2016.

1. asan0623

asan0623 Valued Member Member

I am new to fish tanks and I have a few questions. I want to keep angel fish I love them. I have two now I had four I also have a tinfoil barb, two silver dollars, pelco, siamese algae, clown loch, and two giant danios. My tank size is 55 I have a fluval 406 and sand as my sud, I have drift wood and a few rocks. I check my water every week everything is right on I also do a water change once a week of a few gallons. I have all types of food from flakes and pellets. Why am I losing fish please help.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  2. TheKiwi

TheKiwi Valued Member Member

What're you testing your water with? Test strip or liquid reagents?

I find it quite impossible that you could have decent water parameters, given that you're doing less than 10% change once a week, on a new uncycled tank, with that kind of stock.

(I'm assuming uncycled cos you said you're new to this)

3. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore and the fish keeping hobby! How long has your tank been set up? Do you know about the Nitrogen cycle? What are your exact water parameters? Which fish have died & did they show any symptoms? Hopefully the group mind here can get to the root of your problem so you stop losing fish.

4. OP
    OP
    asan0623

I had the tank running since April. I have been having issues with this tank for a while and every time I get it checked its all good. I go to petco or petsmart which ever is closer and they do the strip.

the tank has been setup since April. Yes I know about the nitrogen cycle. I don't know the exact parameters sorry I wish I could of taken them and took a photo. My angelfish died the very next day my sliver dollar my two tinfoils and my gourami. I just did a 50% water change yesterday.

thanks everyone for the replies so far I can tell I will get help by going this way. :;hi1

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2016
  5. Kasye

Kasye Valued Member Member

One the best things you can do is get a liquid testing kit for yourself. The strips the pet stores use have been known to give inaccurate readings. The kit might seem a bit expensive, but it's a necessary tool in the hobby. And think about the convenience of not having to drive to the store every time you need your water tested!

6. OP
    OP
    asan0623

very true which do you suggest?

I had the tank running since April. I have been having issues with this tank for a while and every time I get it checked its all good. I go to petco or petsmart which ever is closer and they do the strip.

the tank has been setup since April. Yes I know about the nitrogen cycle. I don't know the exact parameters sorry I wish I could of taken them and took a photo. My angelfish died the very next day my sliver dollar my two tinfoils and my gourami. I just did a 50% water change yesterday

7. Kasye

Kasye Valued Member Member

8. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

The recommended liquid test here is the API master test kit. People say you get hundreds of tests out of it. Having this helps you make decisions about how much water to change to reduce nitrates, etc. so it sounds like you added a large bunch of fish & then had a big die off the next day? Calling in help on this one... CindiL, TexasDomer any suggestions?

9. OP
    OP
    asan0623

I added 7 fish to a tank that already had 7 fish. I am going to buy some products from api treating anything I come across. Just going to get it to be ready. Another thing should I just donate my fish and start over? my wife suggested that.

I seen that one I think I'm going to buy more products from api their website does a lot of explaining.

10. OP
    OP
    asan0623

Well the last two angelfish died smh . I'm at a lost with this tank smh. I think I should start all over it. Anyone out there please help. If I did start over I'm sticking with Amazon type fish definitely Angels.

[​IMG]

Everyone else is moving and doing fine. I have two giant danios two silver dollars one groumie one tinfoil one clown loch one pleco

11. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum :)

I wouldn't blindly treat with meds if you don't know yet what the issue is. Are you noticing any symptoms before they died?

I agree that if they are using test strips to test your water, they are inaccurate and don't indicate what's really going on with your water. If you can, I would find an LFS that uses the liquid tests or go out and get the kit mentioned by the others. This is the only way we know what's going on in your tank and can advise the next steps.

You do have some stocking issues and have fish that are inappropriate for your tank size as well as fish that are high waste producers. Do you know what kind of pleco you have? If not, a picture would help.

I would rehome the clown loach, the tinfoil barb and the silver dollars. These fish are shoaling/schooling fish and get far too big for your tank. The SAE's and danios are also shoaling/schooling fish and need at least 6 to a group. However, I would not add any more fish to this tank until you know what your true water parameters are to determine if you are cycled or not.

How are your other fish acting? I would do at least a 50% water change today treated with a good water condtiioner that detoxes ammonia/nitrite like Seachem Prime. It would also be a good idea to get a bacteria supplement like Seachem Stability that will allow you to do water changes until your tank is cycled.

12. OP
    OP
    asan0623

Thank you for he feed back!! I was and wanted to buy a bigger tank as my fish got bigger. I did a 50% water change yesterday and treated the water. I have a order in for s water test kit my lfs is closed so I'll wait for that. The other fish are swimming back and forth everyone is acting normal and full of energy.

[​IMG]
    Not really a good photo

13. el337

Can't tell from the pic. If you can get a clearer one, hopefully we can ID.

14. OP
    OP
    asan0623

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, welcome to fishlore :;hi2

Which fish died exactly? The old ones or the new ones? How did you acclimate the new ones? Were the deaths before or after the water change?

My guess is you have extremely high nitrates among other things and the strips are so inaccurate it's hard to see what's going on here. In the future you only want to add a couple fish at a time usually unless they're a very small schooling fish. You need to give your filter time to catch up with the bio-load.

How are you rinsing your filter media? Did you throw any out recently?

Pick up the API Master Liquid Test kit and test your tap and tank both for the following:

Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph and post them here.

16. el337

17. OP
    OP
    asan0623

All 4 of my angelfish died my tinfoil and my groumie. I left the bag in the water for 15min. Before the water change. I just run it under cold water and no I haven't tossed any of it away. Yea next time I will ease them in a few at a time. I have the kit coming in this Friday along with all the other products to treat any further issues. Thanks a lot for the help! Right now everyone in the tank is moving like nothing happened everyone looks happy.

18. TheKiwi

TheKiwi Valued Member Member

IMO,
    1) the issues killing your fish aren't resolved yet;
    2) you'll need to make more fundamental adjustments if you want to prevent this from happening again.

1) is simple. You're gonna need to do some serious water changes. My guess is that there's high amounts of organic wastes. You'll need to manually remove them through water changes, until your Bb colony builds up.

2) is a little more involved.
    - you shared that you change "a few gallons every week." That's very very lacking, especially for a 55 gallon with the kinda stock you had. I think minimally you should be shooting for 25% water change once a week. Twice would be better.
    - re-think how you add new fishes. The bacteria colony needs time to grow to accommodate any new bioload. I think a better strategy is to start by planning what your final stocking will look like, break that down into 3-4 batches, and allow for 1-2 weeks between each batch introduced. For cases where you're gonna add a spontaneous addition that wasn't part of the stocking plan, do so gradually (in terms of numbers)
    - just saw this. You mentioned that you run your filter media "under cold water"...... You don't mean tap water do you? If so, do you know if your water source is chlorinated?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  19. OP
    OP
    asan0623

All good points and I don't know about the tap water. I just lost another fish smh looks likes its over for this and just like you said I need to do more basic adjustments. I'm so disappointed in myself thank you everyone for the help. Just waiting now any suggestions on how to restart this tank

20. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Many of us have started in similar situations but you can learn from this.

What fish stock are you left with exactly?

I'd pick up the API test kit tomorrow if possible and test all your parameters. Did you mention already what your water conditioner is? Its late and I can't remember. I'd pick up Seachem Prime also.

Increase your water changes to a minimum of weekly 30-40%. Fish need fresh, clean water and also it replenishes the minerals that helps prevent ph crashes.

NEVER rinse your filter media in tap water. ALWAYS rinse it in old tank water OR dechlorinated tap (unless you are on a well that has zero ammonia and nitrites). Chlorine and chloramines will kill off your nitrifying bacteria. Please re-read about the nitrogen cycle. The majority of your nitrifying bacteria that will keep your fish safe reside in your filter media. They also reside in lesser numbers on the surfaces of your tank like substrate, decorations and glass.

We can help you get things right but you need a good test kit.......so we can proceed from there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice