Angelfish Fighting

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Kimbrelee, Jul 26, 2015.

1. K

Kimbrelee Valued Member Member

I have a 65 gallon tank that inhabits about 15 fish including angelfish, mollies, guppies, platties, neon tetras, 1 mystery snail, and 2 algae eaters. I have 4 adult angelfish. I recently just bought one because two of the three were fighting with one I bought at a different store about 2 days after I bought the first 2. I heard the do best in 3s or 4s. Since the were biting at that one I thought if I got one more maybe they would each have a friend and not bother the others. However, I was wrong. They fight among each other all the time. They nip at each other and chase them around. They only mess with each other. The newest one is the meanest of them all. I was wondering if it was ok to place him in his own tank since he is aggressive. I have a 10 gal tank with nothing in it and thought it'd be perfect for him alone. Is there anything else I can do about them fighting with each other so much?

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Angelfish

Angelfish do not do well in 3s. Two will team up and kill the third one. A 10 gallon is WAY too small for an angelfish. You're better off returning to the store or somehow rehoming it. Sell it on Craigslist or put out ads etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. J

Jacob3997 New Member Member

According to The Apprentice for Yahoo Answers, the angelfish are establishing a pecking order. Furthermore, buying more angelfish will prevent the alphas from picking on the weakest link. Be warned, if this fighting behavior continues, the "lower caste" angelfish might die. If I may ask, what behaviors are the angelfish performing? Jaw locking? Head butting? Tail slapping?

4. OP
    OP
    K

Head butting definitely and they will chase one another off from where ever that fish is swimming at time. Biting one another. Just bullying one another really.

5. J

Jacob3997 New Member Member

I would return the bullied angelfish back to the store.

6. OP
    OP
    K

They all fight among each other. There is no specific one

7. Dom90

Angelfish are Cichlids and cichlids can be territorial and aggressive by nature. So looks like you will have to rehome 1-2 of them. Anders247 what's your take on the matter.

8. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would rehome two, the new one and the original one being bullied. Before, there were two that picked on the one, right? Keep the original two, sounds like they may be a breeding pair.

9. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

If there is not fin ripping or injuries occurring, I would let them try to work it out before doing anything. In my opinion, unless you want to keep a single, you should have at least 5. Adding one more, or 3 more may help, but it may not be necessary. They may work it out.

How long have you had the 4?

Putting one in a 10 won't help. It can't live in a 10 forever, and when if you add it back, this could all start again.

10. Dom90

Hey that's smart thinking, I never thought about the possibility of this.

11. OP
    OP
    K

That's what I thought as well. However, about two weeks ago I added the fourth one and the bigger one from the first three and this new one are now fighting off the others like they are a breeding pair. I'm not sure if it's because the two are bigger than the others or what but I have no way to rehome them any time soon. My closest pet store is about an hour away and all I have is my original 10 gal tank

12. TexasDomer

@Dom90 I've been reading up a bunch on angels since I might have a similar problem with my four! So far no issues yet though...

@Kimbrelee
    Keep us updated on their behavior and what you plan to do! I have four angels in my 55 gal, and so far haven't had any issues (they've lived together a while before I got them), but I'm curious to see if your angels can work it out!

You really shouldn't put one in the 10 gal though. It is way too small, and can stress the fish out and cause it to get sick. You can advertise on Craiglist if you need to rehome one or two of them. I've done that with fish before, and I always have lots of interested people! You could also buy a bigger quarantine tank (at least 29 gal for one angel, or a 40 gal for two), but that would be more expensive and more work than rehoming them.

13. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with Dom90.....
    Also keep in mind that the neons will likely be eaten when the angels are older.
    What type of algae eaters?

14. Dom90

Just curious, where are you located? Anders- I'm gonna assume some CAEs...

15. OP
    OP
    K

They don't really bother my neons. I came to learn after buying my angels that they aren't suppose to be with neons but I've had bad luck with neons before Angels. And I've only lost two of them here recently but not sure if it's because of my angels. I only see them bothering each other. I'm not really sure what kinda algae eaters I have. They are both the same kind though. They are like a brownish grey with poka dots.

16. TexasDomer

Pics of the algae eaters? Some members may be able to identify them.

17. Dom90

Uh oh, definitely sounds like Chinese Algae Eaters... They got a polka dot looking pattern...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice