1. Amazon Prime Day!
    Attention Amazon Prime Members: Not to miss deals on lots of products for 36 hours starting July 15!
    Go here: Amazon Prime Day Deals
    Dismiss Notice

Angelfish Female???

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by Watersprite63, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Watersprite63New MemberMember

I believe this is a female but I am not sure. There is no other angel in the tank but I have noticed some aggression from her as well as distended sex organ. Is this because it is breeding season? Or is she now old enough to display her sex? I fo eventually want to put her with a mate but have been waiting to determine her sex. I have a 75 gallon planted freshwater tank with semi aggressive fish. Thank you in advance!

I forgot to mention she is also a but fatter in the belly also

Attached Files:

2. CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

Looks too young/small to tell.

3. fish 321Well Known MemberMember

If you zoom in you can see a breeding tube.

4. !poogs!Valued MemberMember

Sorry that doesn't look like a breeding tube to me. Breeding tubes are more blunt and more opaque than white like that. This angel looks a little to young to determine male or female. Angels don't typically show their breeding tubes without the act of breeding. My experience has been when my female angels are ready to lay eggs and their ovipositor is visible, their is spawning behavior which accompanies this. Same with males. Without the activity of spawning it is very difficult to determine a male from a female even with mature angelfish. With very mature males, you can sometimes notice a bump on their forehead instead of a smooth slope. You can sometimes tell the male because a very mature male will have a forked ventral fin.

Honestly the best way is to have a large tank with 6 or more angelfish and wait for them to pair off. Watch them spawn to determine who lays the eggs and who fertilizes them. Sometimes and rarely a lone female in a tank will lay eggs, but then identifying a male isn't so easy unless you come across a re-home male at the LFS.

Good luck, they are a lot of fun to breed

5. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Well...if that is a breeding tube, it is definitely a female's tube. But I can't really tell if that is for sure a breeding tube. If it is, she would be laying eggs that very day for it to be out that far. My females tube's are only out that far on the day of spawning. Or the day before at the soonest.

What does it look like today?

She is small, but big enough to be sexually mature in my opinion!! How old is she?

6. McasellaFishlore VIPMember

That looks potentially more like a prolapse than a breeding tube.

7. !poogs!Valued MemberMember

Snapped this picture today and remembered your post.

These two were put in a breeding tank together on the weekend. After a water change yesterday and some filter maintenance these two have dropped their breeding tubes and will spawn hopefully in the 24 to 36 hours. Lots of cleaning and lip locking going on. They unsuccessfully breed twice in a 120 gallon community tank.

Male is on left & female on right. They are both just over a year old.

IMG_3574.JPGIMG_3575.JPG

8. CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

Wow, those are some beautiful angels!

9. !poogs!Valued MemberMember

Thank you

10. fish 321Well Known MemberMember

Here is a pic of my pair who look like they are getting ready to breed again. 20190612072647_IMG_1704.JPG

11. fish 321Well Known MemberMember

The female is on the left and the male is on the right.

12. CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

Reminds me of the Rio Manacapuru angels with their red colors.

13. CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

Nice pair! I actually thought these were altums at first. :oops:

14. fish 321Well Known MemberMember

No there just the regular scalare angelfish. Their first batch of fry are looking good so far. I also found it weird that the female has a bigger hump on her forehead then the male.

15. CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

Good luck! Though it's quite difficult to breed the angels that I have.

16. fish 321Well Known MemberMember

What kind do you have?

17. CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

Pterophyllum leopoldi

18. fish 321Well Known MemberMember

Sweet I want a pair of those.

19. CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

I've always wanted altums.

20. fish 321Well Known MemberMember

I don't have the space for a tank big enough to house altums and their size.