Angelfish Explosion

bandito974
I know this sounds unbelievable, one of my neighbors had 55 angelfish in his 55 gallon tank, these were all at one time fry from a spawning pair he has,
they keep spawning and he has 16 more in a 20 gallon tank, They are the most beautiful marble color and are almost as big as my hand, I took 11 of them off his hands and gave them to my dad who also has a 55 gallon tank.
he would like for them to spawn as well, These really are the most beautiful angels I really have ever seen, I never thought it was possible to keep so many in a tank, they have been in the tank since November of 06.

B

Kevin
that's not a good thing...
ask him if he has tried selling them

0morrokh
That is more than overstocked...that's worse than the feeder tanks at Petco... Good you took some of them, any way to get him to give away or sell a bunch more?

COBettaCouple
They must be exceptional stock to survive so long and I wonder how high his casualty rate has been. It's amazing they survived so long since most Angels wouldn't.

bandito974
I asked the same questions he has not lost Not EVEN 1! He claims water has not been changed in like 7 months, the quality of these fish is outstanding! I hope to post a pic this weekend of the fish I got for my dad.
He was selling the large angelfish to a pet store for 2.00 and the extra large for 5.00, they quit buying them cuz they were not selling, no doubt they were asking an obscene amount for them.
if anyone is in the Dallas/FTW area I am sure he would be happy to give up some as he would like to thin out his tank. He offered to give them to us, but I said I would gladly give him what the pet store was paying. Check back this weekend I will post a pic

COBettaCouple
Not even 1? Even under the best conditions possible, I'm not sure 100% survival rate is likely.

timg
After the last few months, I can understand where he's coming from. We were in very similar conditions for ages until we got the fish house running, and it is possible for fish to survive adverse conditions, especially if they were born into them. By guess would be the he hasn't lost any that made it to juvenile, otherwise he would have ten times that number!

My water conditions were far from optimal for angels, but we still managed to have them survive. But he really does need to reduce the numbers drastically, or get more tanks to spread them out a little. Perhaps he would do well to advertise them online, as there are a lot of people looking for good quality angels.

COBettaCouple
If he were near us, I know we would find it hard to resist them.

Sabi
Perhaps his tank is very well planted and he has a good filter etc? But yeah some angels can be pretty tough, like the ones I had loong time ago, they survived -a couple of months.

Trpimp147
I go to this crab shack and they never change there water. **** is a 200 gal tank and they only have one filter on it and its only a emporer 400. they have 3 more hanging off the back of it but none work or are on. I talked to the owner about the tank and said how ewwy it looked and the month later they cleaned it and now there fish are looking a lot better then they already were. they have like 5 plecos in the tank that are large all over 6 inch long the one is prob a foot long vary vary nice tank just a few plants they didnt look to well they hardly ever have the light on since that talk they have been turning that one more often its cool that they didnt get mad at me for telling them they should at least clean it but they also hooked me up with a free meal when I was there (it helps my family goes there at least 15 times a year)

bandito974
I'm working on those pics guys, but if any one is in the Dallas FT. Worth area and wants George's number just message me and I will give it to you, I do know he wants to thin out some more
B

Kevin
he could try selling them in the newspaper, , or aquabid

0morrokh
I asked the same questions he has not lost Not EVEN 1! He claims water has not been changed in like 7 months, the quality of these fish is outstanding!

I'm guessing most of them die as fry before he even notices them. That's ridiculous he hasn't changed the water in so long...but fish kept in poor water quality (especially if the quality has gone down over a period of time) can adjust to it. Nitrates usually won't kill fish directly.

COBettaCouple
Maybe the diet of angelfish eggs & young fry is how the others are surviving and with that many fish in there, I'd think it possible for some to die, be eaten and replaced with younger ones growing.

I'm guessing most of them die as fry before he even notices them. That's ridiculous he hasn't changed the water in so long...but fish kept in poor water quality (especially if the quality has gone down over a period of time) can adjust to it. Nitrates usually won't kill fish directly.

bandito974
I finally post some pics of my dads angels I listed them on the members forum page and I also took a short video and listed that on the video page, I didnt know if I could post it right here.

Thanks
B

Bill
I would expect the nitrate levels to get high enough to kill anything after 7 months with no water changes. The only way that might work is if he REALLY underfed the angels and REALLY heavily planted the tank. Some discus keepers keep lightly stocked tanks for 2 years with no water changes, but with such crowding it seems unlikely that anything like that would work, especially with angelfish aggression. I can't imagine that 55 angels'd have any room to move in a standard 55g. But the 11 angels in your dad's tank all look very healthy.

Kevin
they look really good...are you sure there haven't been any wc's?
also, it looks like he has a couple air pumps running, so there is plenty of oxygen and water movement

susitna-flower
WOW, what a find. Maybe you could offer to help him out.

IF you could help him with his tank, in return for fish.....Get yourself some 45 tall tanks , 2 or 3, and start breeding some of his stock. They are lovely, and worth $$$.

With the get up and go of a young person, this could be a profitable partnership. Maybe your Dad would go in it with you!

bandito974
WOW, what a find. Maybe you could offer to help him out.

IF you could help him with his tank, in return for fish.....Get yourself some 45 tall tanks , 2 or 3, and start breeding some of his stock. They are lovely, and worth $$$.

With the get up and go of a young person, this could be a profitable partnership. Maybe your Dad would go in it with you!

would they do well in a hexagon tank? you think?
I wish I had some get up and go I am 33!
I am tempted to try and breed some though my dads were laying eggs last night. I do have a 12 gallon nano I am trying to sell or trade off for another tank but I need a larger one for my Frontosas, does anyone know if I can keep Angels with Frontosas?

catersun
Oh man.... those are GORGEOUS fish.... too bad I'm so far away....

Sabi
Lovely! They look like gold marble and koi angels!

bandito974
another neighbor has 150 offspring~
of these fish they laid hatched and he placed in a 55 gallon!
Grand Prairie is just Angel Heaven!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
angelcraze
Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
Top Bottom