Angelfish Emergency!!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by MarleyF, Apr 2, 2019.

1. MarleyFValued MemberMember

******PHOTOS INCLUDED!!!******
    Tank

What is the water volume of the tank?
    55 gallon long
    How long has the tank been running?
    A week and a half, but the substrate, decorations, and filter were in a fully cycled tank for over a year before that.
    Does it have a filter?
    Yes, it was supposed to have an rated 60g filter and a rated 150g filter but the 150g wasn’t working and is going to be replaced asap
    Does it have a heater?
    Yes
    What is the water temperature?
    80°F
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
    5 juvenile angelfish (all between 1-3 inches)
    4 ghost catfish

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water?
    In the old tank, I changed it once every 2-4 weeks, the new tank’s water hasn’t been changed out yet
    How much of the water do you change? 90%
    What do you use to treat your water?
    Seachem Prime
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
    I vacuum the substrate and water.

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
    No, because the filter, plants, and substrate were in the old, cycled tank (and brought their fair share of algae with them)
    What do you use to test the water?
    API Master Test Kit
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
    Nitrite: 0.00 ppm
    Nitrate: 20 ppm (I have always had a very hard time getting my nitrates below 20, even right after a water change)7
    pH: 8.2 (yes, I know it’s high but I have been breeding angelfish for over 2 years with this pH level so I am sure that it is fine for the angels)

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish?
    Ever 1-2 days
    How much do you feed your fish?
    A few pinches (like 30 small pellets)
    What brand of food do you feed your fish?
    New Life and
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
    Only a few times a year, my fish never eat them fast enough

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish?
    Since November 23, 2017 when he and two of my other angels were first spawned.
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
    An hour ago today
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
    He is kind of bloated and has a mass/boil/blister under his mouth.
    Have you started any treatment for the illness?
    I put in a triple dose of Prime (as recommended in emergencies on the bottle) and a dose of Melafix
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
    No, he was born in one of my own tanks perefectly fine
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
    Yes, he seems to be bloated and he is acting less social/swimming slower.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
    After feeding my fish about two hours ago, I noticed that my biggest angelfish (3 in) seemed kind of bloated. I didn’t think anything of it because he had just eaten. An hour later, I was looking at his stomach again and saw a big lump on his face, like a boil. Since then, I have been watching him. He is moving slower than normal and seems less active than he has been since I moved him into a new tank over a week ago. The rest of my fish are looking and acting just fine.

I really, really, really want to make sure that he is going to be okay because I have been raising him and two of his siblings for over a year and a half. I absolutely do not want to lose him, he is very dear to my heart. If anyone has any idea what I can do, PLEASE let me know!!! Thank you!!!

Attached Files:

2. Logan BockValued MemberMember

Unfortunately I believe that he may have dropsy. It is caused by high nitrates or other bacterial infections. I would research it and see if his symptoms match up

3. MarleyFValued MemberMember

I looked up photos of fish with dropsy. His stomach is pretty mild compared to the pictures I saw, and the one mass he has is right below his lip, while the fish photos I saw with any masses were all on the fish’s abdomen. You may be right, but I sure hope it is something else because I have seen how awful dropsy is for fish. If anyone has any other ideas, or agrees with this “diagnosis” please let me know and give me any and all advice you may have!!

4. Logan BockValued MemberMember

You know what!! The boil could be a cyst and cysts are know to cause bloating in angle fish

5. MarleyFValued MemberMember

This sounds weird to hope it’s a cyst, but from the research I’ve done, a cyst is much better than dropsy. I couldn’t find any treatment options online, does anyone know of any resources or tips? Or how to tell if it really is dropsy??

6. angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Is he puffy all over? I didn't see the bloating sorry. Is it just his belly? How long has he been this way?

Not sure about the cyst.

The 0.25ppm concerns me a bit. Unless the test solution is botched like I've seen a lot of lately. Have you tested your tap or source water for nitrates?

I always change out 50% water every week at least in my breeding pair tanks, no matter what my params. Angel fry get daily water changes, juvenile angels I change the water every 3 days. Angelfish respond really well to fresh water.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  7. MarleyFValued MemberMember

The bloating seems to have subsided today, so that is good news. The lump/mass is still there though.
    In regards to the ammonia, I have been adding prime to ensure that ammonia and nitrates are neutralized.
    The nitrates are roughly 20 in the source water, that’s why I struggle to keep them low.
    Also, I know the reccomended water change schedule for angelfish. I have been breeding and a hobbyist for two years (at least). My angels are over a year old, and the water change schedule has been more than adequte with the small amount of fish I have and my filter.
    Thank you for your input, please let me know of any suspected diagnosis or treatments you may think of.