Angelfish eggs!

1. nippybetta

nippybetta Well Known Member Member

I just looked in my tank and saw that my marble and black angel layed eggs on a rock. They're really hard to see, and smaller than I expected. There are lots of eggs, and the angels are being very defensive parents. I intend to post pictures soon, and will keep you updated.

:) :) :)

2. OP
    OP
    nippybetta

pics

Catsma, the dad is the one you helped me save from columnaris in January. I decided then that if he recovered, I'd name him. I still haven't. I'm open to ideas for names for either of the angels.

Dad and the eggs
    001.jpg

Eggs (at the top of the rock)
    002.jpg

Mom
    003.jpg

3. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

I am so glad he is doing so well!!

With others in the tank odds are the fry will be lost.

4. OP
    OP
    nippybetta

Probably. I still have about half the eggs, the angels ate the white ones and some of the ones around them. I'm trying to decide if I should move the other fish to the 75g or not. Do you know if snails (big or small) will eat the eggs. I have a big snail that a bought and a bunch of little snails that were accidents.

The black angel is great. He's really beautiful, and getting pretty big. They all are. Moreover, all my fish are healthy and have been for a few months now :)

5. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Congrats!!! Snails will eat eggs if given the chance but the parents will ward them off. If you want the eggs to have a good chance in a populated tank I'd leave the lights on all the time. It helps the parents a lot.

6. OP
    OP
    nippybetta

I gave the parents a night light last night, which was all I could do- the tanks are in my room, and I tend to sleep at night :) I saw the big snail on top of the rock the eggs were on last night, but it wasn't on the eggs, so I left it. I'll keep trying to get rid of them.

7. RogueAgent94

LOL Sleep on the couch and save the babies!!

8. OP
    OP
    nippybetta

Actually, I covered the tank and left the light on. The eggs got eaten anyway :(

9. RogueAgent94

Aww. That's too bad! 10-20 days and you'll have more :p

10. c

Maybe sooner! I've seen pairs spawn weekly and others spawn monthly.

11. RogueAgent94

I agree. I've had a pair that would spawn within two days after I removed their eggs. They were awful parents so I would remove the eggs. The female would go strong for about three weeks and then she would stop laying for two weeks. Then they whole routine started again.

12. OP
    OP
    nippybetta

Wow. I think a batch a week is plenty. I'll be watching for more eggs, and tell you when they come!

13. OP
    OP
    nippybetta

The angels laid eggs again last night, and were finishing eating them when I turned on the lights... *sigh* Maybe next time.

14. c

Are the angels in a community tank? Many new parents are too stressed and will eat their spawn.

15. OP
    OP
    nippybetta

Yes. I've considered getting a second 29g tank for them, and I might be able to pull it off, because my mom thinks the angel fry would be really cool. I need to find a place to put another tank though, and then find a nice one on craigslist.