Angelfish Eggs Look Good?

Phormist

Hi guys I just had my pair of Angels spawn today and I got a set of eggs! Attached is a picture of the group of eggs laid on my Anubias I had in the aquarium.
Right now I have them in an old peanut glass container with an airstone and keeping the temperatures between 74-78 F degrees by using the original tank water.

Are my eggs supposed to look like this? They seemed to look fine to me but they all have this very faint white dot developed on one side of the eggs, as if maybe something is forming??? Does this look right?

IMG_2570.jpg

jmaldo

By no means a Angel breeder but... As long as they remain the amber color should be good to go. If you see any start going completely "White" means they are unfertilized. I never removed eggs when I had spawns. The key with the airstone is to simulate what the parents do when fanning the eggs. Otherwise they start to get white fungus. A few members here have been successful maybe they can give more info.

Good Luck!

Upvote 0

Phormist

By no means a Angel breeder but... As long as they remain the amber color should be good to go. If you see any start going completely "White" means they are unfertilized. I never removed eggs when I had spawns. The key with the airstone is to simulate what the parents do when fanning the eggs. Otherwise they start to get white fungus. A few members here have been successful maybe they can give more info.

Good Luck!
Thanks! Yea, I definitely did some research and have a very good airstone in there. it's a tad stronger than what the parents would do but that's 'cause some of the eggs fell off from the leaves and I wanted to have a good flow through the small container.

My only concern is the temperature. It does not quite stay above 76F and just gradually changes from 73-75F throughout the day and night.

I also don't have any methylene blue so that would maybe help prevent fungus but as of right now it's only been almost 9 hours since the eggs were laid. I do have Melafix and ich-X but not sure if those would more harm than good for the eggs.

Upvote 0

Yeoy

Looks good so far. If you notice a cluster of them getting fungus (will be obvious and white) you could remove them with tweezers or a pipette.

I believe Indian almond leaves and alder cones have anti-fungal properties too. And are obviously a natural alternative to methylene blue, and you can't overdose it.

Upvote 0

Phormist

Looks good so far. If you notice a cluster of them getting fungus (will be obvious and white) you could remove them with tweezers or a pipette.

I believe Indian almond leaves and alder cones have anti-fungal properties too. And are obviously a natural alternative to methylene blue, and you can't overdose it.
Oh good! And so far I only see one or two white ones, but they've fallen from the big group of them and are floating around. I watched some videos and the single white spot on the eggs look normal, must be where the embryo starts or something. But so far they look OK right now.
Just did like my 3rd or 4th water change for them and will see how they do in the morning. Might make this a page to keep up with the progress :)

I also used to used Indian Almond leaves in my tanks, haven't recently 'cause don't want to spend the money on them at the moment. May pick some up now though since I've got a breeding pair of angels now haha
I used to use the leaves after an Ich treatment or any time I get new fish. They seem to love it and i know some of my other fish like to nibble on it from time to time haha

Upvote 0

Jack B Nimble

You can use hyrdrogen peroxide to make sure the eggs dont fungus. I use about a cap full twice a day until you see wigglers. Hydrogen peroxide is easily available and since pandemic most people have it in the house anyway. It was also approved fairly recently by I believe the FDA for use on commercial fish hatchery eggs.

Upvote 0

Phormist

What do you guys think of the temperature? Should I move the eggs into a larger container to stick a heater in there with them? I am nervous about the temperature not being high enough.
This morning the water in the container was about 69F then I put the aquarium water in the container and brought it up to around 75F.

OK, so I changed their container to a large cylinder glass container and I can put the heater in there from time to time to keep the heat up. And the bigger container may give me less room for temperature swings.

I don't have any hydrogen peroxide right now but maybe I will go get some. I did dose a VERY small bit of Aquarium Co-Op Liquid CO2 to fight algae/fungus development. I know it's an algaecide but worth a shot for now. I also dose 3-4 drops of Seachem Prime every time I add aquarium water to the egg container. Safeguard any ammonia development.

What do you guys think?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Gudgie
Replies
Views
fallfever
Replies
Views
StarGirl