Angelfish Egg Laying Help

1. Remmy14 Initiate Member

Need some advice: My angels are beginning to lay eggs. I'm usually away at school and my father watches the fish for me, and he does a good job. But because I'm away I am unsure how many times they have laid. I am guessing about 6 - 7 times before, and all attempts have been unsuccessful. I have separated the angels from the rest of the tank and I think that the male is eating the eggs, but cannot be sure. Should I take him out once they are done, or keep letting him practice? Thanks!

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

you could have 2 females ..they will spawn together..do you know if the eggs turn tan or are they all white? tan eggs are fertilized and white eggs are not...after 24-36 hours of them spawning, you will see the different colors...or any of the fish listed in your info could have eaten them also

3. Remmy14 Initiate Member

Yea I have divided the tank so that it is only the two angels. I'm fairly certain it's a male and female..the descriptions I have read fit the bill. And I have observed the male eating the eggs, and the female trying to stop him. But that was on an early attempt. I figured the more they try, the better they will get.

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

in a 29g tank, dividing it is only going to stress them all out :( can you get a tank for just the breeding pair? craigslist.org is a faboo place for used setups...otherwise, it may never work from lack of space :(

5. Remmy14 Initiate Member

Yes I actually do have another 29g set up with a couple of young angels. I was planning on doing a swap in order to give the spawning pair some privacy and the younger two some friends. But when I saw they already started laying again I wasn't sure what to do. Maybe this will be another "practice" round and we'll start the serious egg laying next time.

6. Remmy14 Initiate Member

Update: Moved the angels to a new tank here at school where they will be alone with some bristlenose plecos. They laid a new batch of eggs the other day, and they hatched this morning, so I am now 100% sure that I have a M/Fm pair. But when the eggs/newly hatched fry fell off of the spawning surface, they couldn't quite get the whole "catch and spit back on" thing down. Sooooo another batch down the drain. But at least they're getting better...

7. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

They will get better with practice.
    Carol