Angelfish Eats Like Theres No Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by Bells87, Apr 15, 2017.

1. B

Bells87 Valued Member Member

My Angelfish is constantly hungry and always in search of food around my planted tank. When I drop food for the cories in the tank (Hikari Bottom Feeder Wafers), he tries to stuff as many as he can in his mouth! He's a juvenile Platinum Blue Angel and his name is Ghost and/or Fineas (props to those who get the joke haha). Is this normal?

Picture of the piggy attached.

Attached Files:

2. Arades

Arades Valued Member Member

Fish are always hungary and will eat everything you put in the tank so make sure you dont overfeed. Also try and feed the cories an hour after the lights go out.

3. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

Angels are one of the fish that will eat themselves to death. They are always hungry, especially if they are bored (alone). Don't give in and overfeed him, or he won't be around for long. In fish, fat collects internally, around organs, and not under skin as it does for us. It's even more dangerous for them than for mammals.

4. OP
    OP
    B

Would it be a good idea to get him a mate or something? He's in a community tank and seems to think he's one of the bottom feeders sometimes. Other inhabitants are cories and cardinal tetras.

5. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

What size tank and what is the stocking?

He could be at the bottom searching for food! When ever I feed my cories pellets, the guppies and rasboras will all go to the bottom!

6. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

My juvie angel is the same way, always begging and searching for food. Nips at all surfaces all the time. He steals from my cories as well.
    Gorgeous fish btw.

7. OP
    OP
    B

Haha yes he definitely is scouring the tank for food!

Currently, I have 7 cardinal tetras (plan on adding more), 8 corydora aeneus and 1 angelfish. I'm aware the tank is quite cramped but I'm in the process of upgrading to a 55 gallon so future stocking plans woukd be for a tank of that size! :) (theyre also all currently juveniles so it isnt inhumane quite yet haha)

8. OP
    OP
    B

It was just a bit suprising because the first 2 weeks I had him, I would never see him eating! He was in a qt tank all by himself and I would put some food in and see it gone after a few but he's never been one to actively rejoice at the sight of food but I guess its good that he's likethat now haha

Thank you! When I first got him poor little guy had a terribly rot nub for a tail with a fungal infection setting in :( I didnt have high hopes then but now he's a healthy little piggy!

9. OP
    OP
    B

Guys..update..

I think Ghost ate one of the cardinal tetras...

This morning I couldnt find my other cardinal tetra even during feeding time. One of them was always kinda singled out from the school--he liked being alone a lot. This morning I woke to find only 6 tetras...I ruffled around my plants where he liked to stay and I couldnt find a body even...

I know for a fact that Ghost would have had much difficulty eating him as his mouth really isnt that big....but without any other explanation...I can only guess he ate one. :(

Any thoughts?

10. OP
    OP
    B

Guys..update..

I think Ghost ate one of the cardinal tetras...

This morning I couldnt find my other cardinal tetra even during feeding time. One of them was always kinda singled out from the school--he liked being alone a lot. This morning I woke to find only 6 tetras...I ruffled around my plants where he liked to stay and I couldnt find a body even...

I know for a fact that Ghost would have had much difficulty eating him as his mouth really isnt that big....but without any other explanation...I can only guess he ate one. :(

Any thoughts?

11. AngelTheGypsy

It's entirely possible. One of the downsides to smaller schoolers with an angelfish. They will eat anything that can fit in their mouth. And if the cardinal was a loner, he wouldn't have had the protection of the school.

12. OP
    OP
    B

I separated him from the big tank for now..

Do you think I'd still have this problem in a bigger tank? I'll be upgrading to a 55 gallon soon

13. AngelTheGypsy

I don't know, and really you won't until he eats another one (if he did eat the first one). It's not unheard of for angels to eat cardinals. How big is your current tank? If you upgrade will you move the cardinals too or keep them in this tank?

14. OP
    OP
    B

Currently its pretty small at 20 gallons--I know its a bit cramped but theyre all juveniles and I plan on getting the upgraded tank soon so I'm making do currently. Its very heavily planted. I was hoping to transfer all my fish and add more cardinals and a pair of blue rams into the 55 gallon. For the 20 gallon I had planned to make it either a divided betta tank or a betta sorority and keep half of my cories there.

15. AngelTheGypsy

I would consider leaving the cardinals in the 20 and choosing a larger schooler, if you actually think he ate it. I would also not break up your Cory shoal. Actually you could add to it in the 55, easily having 12. Its best to keep them in groups of 6+, and their behavior comes out more the more you have. But you could give it some time to see if more cardinals go missing and the larger tank will probably help. A 20 is quite cramped for them and may bring out more aggression.

16. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

Is this a 20 gallon high or long?

I suggest just moving all of them to the 55 and then up the cardinals to 20 and the corys to 10 :)

17. OP
    OP
    B

I actually had 8 cories (6 bronze, 2 albino) in the 20 gallon and decided recently to move 3 of the smallest ones (2 albinos and 1 bronze) to a separate sort of grow out tank because I could see that they were quite cramped in the bottom and kept glass surfing. What I had planned was that once I had the 55 gallon, I'd return the one bronze cory to the tank (making them 7 in the 55 gal) and get 3 or 4 more albinos to join the two I had for the 20 gallon for whichever fish I decide to keep in there.

Unfortunately...one of my albino cories managed to jump out of the tank and it was a while before I saw him so he was dead by the time I noticed one was missing :( It hasnt been a great week for the tanks. I'm doing a water change today so hopefully I find at least the body but its the second day since the one cardinal has gone missing and he still hasnt surfaced or even floated to the top.

The tank is a 20 tall. The 55 gallon I'll be upgrading to is not a traditional one though, the dimensions are 34 × 19 × 20 because my stand is repurposed so I'm following its odd dimensions. I actually wanted a pair of German Blue Rams so Im holding off on having a ton of cories although I do love them!

Oh, also I still am thinking of getting more cories perhaps for my 20 gallon to add to the albino but I'm still not sure what my plans are for it. In any case, that one albino has a home with the others in the 55 gallon. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice