Angelfish dying?


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

What is the water volume of the tank? 55 gallons
How long has the tank been running? 6 weeks
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 78-80
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
6 honey gourami
2 apistogramma cacatuoides
1 angelfish
6 amono shrimp

How often do you change the water? weekly
How much of the water do you change? 25%
What do you use to treat your water? Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Just the water. Only had fish for 2 weeks.

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes, also used filter media from established tanks.
What do you use to test the water? API
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20 ppm
pH: 8.2

How often do you feed your fish? the new ones haven't been fed, apistos once a day
How much do you feed your fish? small amount with turkey baster
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Hakiri
Do you feed frozen? yes
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? no

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 10 am today
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 3 1/2 hours ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? floating on side
Have you started any treatment for the illness? no
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? it looked good
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
(Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

Two weeks ago I got a pair of apistos. They seem to be doing fine. Today, I added 6 small honey gourami and a angelfish about quarter size. Gourami and apistos are fine.

About 4 hours after I put the angelfish in the tank at noon today, it was floating on it's side. It continues to alternate between floating on it's side and swimming around.

I took two hours to acclimate it, but looking back I wonder if I added water from the tank too quickly. I'm new to this fish by mail thing, and wonder if that's what went wrong. I put the fish in the shipping water in a bucket and used the slow drip method. Maybe not slow enough. I added a drop of Prime to the shipping water when I opened the bag.

My other mistake may have been setting the bucket with the fish in it near a vent and cranked up the furnace to raise the water temp. It went from 68 to 80 in maybe 45 minutes. Maybe less.

I can't think of what else it could be. Is there any chance it's going to survive? It's a beautiful animal, I wish I hadn't screwed this up.


Don’t see this as your screw up. It’s ENTIRELY possible this fish was already ill and it has nothing to do with you.

It somewhat sounds like it could be swim bladder disease.

Do you have a QT you can put it in? I’m certainly no expert but, if you do have one, the first thing I’d do it get it out of your tank and away from the other fish.

Sorry you’re going through this.


Thanks for responding, fish has recovered and seems to be doing fine. I got 4 kinds of fish delivered, 3 of them recently, and this was the only one that I had any problems with.

What a world, order live fish all the way from the coast and have them delivered the next day


I’m glad he recovered :)

What a world, order live fish all the way from the coast and have them delivered the next day

Haha yeah, what a world!

Similar Aquarium Threads

75 Gallon Tank Angelfish with some issue

Random Great Thread!

New Fish Disease Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom