Angelfish Compatability

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by dramanea, Jan 7, 2013.

1. dramaneaValued MemberMember

Hello,
    I've wanted an Angelfish since forever, and I might be able to get one now. I've read that they're bossy, though-is that true? What fish would they be compatible with?
    Also, how easily do they get fin rot?

2. freak78Well Known MemberMember

It depends on the personalities of the fish. I have mine with tetra schools and glofish. Just make sure your fish won't fit into the angels mouth. I've never had fin rot with my angelfish.

3. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

The longer the fish's fins are, the more prone they are to problems because the lack of blood flow. Smaller fins are closer to the body so they tend to heal faster and stay healthier. If you want the fish to have perfect fins, then I would pass on the longfin varieties.

What size tank do you have?

4. Quinn_Lamb98Well Known MemberMember

like freak said- depends on the angelfish (like all other cichlids, lol). you can't really predict what might happen with you because cichlids have such a wide range of personalities. you could end up with one that won't touch a fry, but then you get others that are scycotic mass murders (not common). i would give it a try as long as you have nothing in the tank smaller than neon tetras, and nothing will nip at there fins. start with a small juvinile (quarter sized) and grow it out in the tank you want to keep it in.

5. dramaneaValued MemberMember

I talked to some people at my favourite fish store, and they said everything would be fine as far as adding an Angelfish goes. If I'm going to get one, though, there are some more questions I'd like to ask:
    Do Angelfish like anything in particular? (ex. plecos like driftwood)
    Do they prefer room to swim, or places to hide?

6. escapayWell Known MemberMember

I'd say Angelfish like room to move. Thinking more down the road when the Angel is full grown... If the whole bottom of the tank is limited accessibility and therefore making the tank technically shorter in height, they probably wouldn't enjoy the tank to be able to move.

My Angel is out and about, though I only have live plants that offer cover.