Angelfish companion

Oakvillehob

Hi all

I am new to fish keeping and also new to the the forum. I am learning things reading forums and by trial and error.This weekend I bought a couple of angelfish and they are doing fine. I already have a BN, 3 danios and 2 rummy nose in the tank and was planning to get 6 sterbai Cories. I also want to get another fish since the middle level and top level kinda looks empty.

I had a couple of questions on that regards:
1. Will the angels attack new fish
2. Can I buy more angels
3. What’s a better fish honey gourami or dwarf gourami that won’t fin nip my angels or kill other fish since I heard gouramis can get aggressive. I am a bit confused about the aggressiveness of two species.
4. Any other fish suggestions that can get very well along with the angels. I would like to add a bit more colour.

Sorry for posting too many questions and thank you in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 33

TClare

How big is the tank? You should definitely get more rummy nose tetras to make a shoal. I think you could have more angelfish, but I will let someone with more experience of them answer that when we know the tank size.

Upvote 0

Oakvillehob

It’s a 40 gallon tank, yes agreed I love rummy nose and definitely need more rummy nose. I had a few more but unfortunately they died not sure why the ammonia was 0, I heard they are delicate fish hence I am being cautious there.

Upvote 0

jake37

I would not get more rummy nose tetra; as an adult angel can eat them. I would not get more angels unless you get a lot. If your angels are the same sex they might bicker a little to see who is boss but they won't really harm each other but if they are opposite sex they will bond and breed. If you were to get a third angel - well 2 is company and 3 is a crowd and they will not be kind to it. Generally speaking they will leave other fishes alone 'cept when breeding. They won't 'hunt' other fishes when breeding but they will chase them away from the eggs/frys. As long as the other fishes are temp compatible gourami and such should be fine. Honey gourami are peaceful and a good choice but you should get several if you get one as they like groups. Dwarf gourami are said to be unpredictable and can be quite aggressive.
-
My angles tend to hang closer to the top than the bottom - a dwarf chilid (apistogramma bolivan ram flag cichlid ...) tends to stay in the lower 1/2 of the tank.

Upvote 0

TClare

I would not get more rummy nose tetra; as an adult angel can eat them. I would not get more angels unless you get a lot. If your angels are the same sex they might bicker a little to see who is boss but they won't really harm each other but if they are opposite sex they will bond and breed. If you were to get a third angel - well 2 is company and 3 is a crowd and they will not be kind to it. Generally speaking they will leave other fishes alone 'cept when breeding. They won't 'hunt' other fishes when breeding but they will chase them away from the eggs/frys. As long as the other fishes are temp compatible gourami and such should be fine. Honey gourami are peaceful and a good choice but you should get several if you get one as they like groups. Dwarf gourami are said to be unpredictable and can be quite aggressive.
-
My angles tend to hang closer to the top than the bottom - a dwarf chilid (apistogramma bolivan ram flag cichlid ...) tends to stay in the lower 1/2 of the tank.
Mm I was thinking the rummy nose would be big enough but I suppose they are pretty thin...some kind of shoaling fish would be good though, as would dwarf cichlids for the bottom.

Upvote 0

RandomFishBoi

Angels may or may not be able to eat the rummy nose tetras. Disappointingly, there is only one way to find out. Even if they can though, it depends on the temperament and habits of the angels. Some angels are more predatory than others.

How many do you mean by a "couple" of angelfish. I would say the max amount of adult angels you could have in a 40 gallon is 3-4 depending on their temperament, but only 2 if any of them pair up.

Not sure how mixing the angels with gouramis will work out, but once again, it depends on the angels. I feel most angels will not do well with gouramis. And if the angels pair you will definitely have to remove the gouramis.

Rainbowfish seem to fit what your looking for exactly. They are to big to be eaten by the angels, can tolerate aggression if the angels breed, and are colorful and active in the middle areas of the tank.

Upvote 0

Dennis57

I keep 6 large adult Angels with 20 neon tetras and 20 rummynose along with other fish and never lost a smaller fish do to be eating.

I've actually been keeping Angels and neons in the same tank for almost 43 years without a problem.

Upvote 0

jake37

Let me rephrase my comment. They can eat rummy nose when the angels are full adults - it is unclear if they will - it depends on the fish. I do have my angels with cardinals (very similar to rummy nose) and i haven't noticed them vanishing but it is a concern (and i have read horror stories). In my case my older alpha male (I have 11 in a 120) is quite capable of eating the cardinals and generally speaking he has stop going after small pellets and other foods he used to eat and will mostly just eat shrimp pellets (which are nearly as thick as a cardinal). I keep him well fed but i'm quite sure if i left for a week and came back i would have fewer cardinals... Long term (14 months from now) I will be splitting out my cardinals from the angels and they will go with the rams in a different tank.
-
In your case you only have a couple of rummy nose so rather than fill out the school or get a similar size tetra (cardinal, lemon, black neon, ...) why not get a larger fish like rosy white fin tetra, serpae or black phantom. Conversely there are also barbs and rainbow fishes that are decent sizes (though they are not SA fishes.
-
Either way good luck !

Upvote 0

Oakvillehob

Thank you very much for your feedback.
My angelfish (2) are small for now maybe 1.5-2 inches so that way they are staying away from the 2 rummy nose. Also my rummy nose school with my 3 danios.

I love some of these suggestions, rainbows could be great and so would Bolivian rams. I am a bit scared by the death of my 4 rummy nose so even though I love rummy nose I might not get them as of yet.

Question re: Bolivian rams or precox rainbow fish: do they show aggression towards angelfish, also Bolivian rams stay at the bottom so will it be an issue to cories.
Also I heard serpaes are fin nippers, is it true. But love the colour so would love to get a few.

Upvote 0

carsonsgjs

Bolivians will be fine with angels from my experience. I currently have a couple of males in a south american cichlid community and they are so easy going (apart from the odd disagreement between themselves over territory). I had a fully grown angel in there for a while too and they occupied different areas so never bothered each other

Upvote 0

Whits17

Bolivians will be fine with angels from my experience. I currently have a couple of males in a south american cichlid community and they are so easy going (apart from the odd disagreement between themselves over territory). I had a fully grown angel in there for a while too and they occupied different areas so never bothered each other
Just like to add my experience with rummynose and angels - I just had to rehome 12 rummynose as they had started to fin nip my angel. The rummynose are 2 years old and the angel is 4 years old.

Upvote 0

Oakvillehob

Just like to add my experience with rummynose and angels - I just had to rehome 12 rummynose as they had started to fin nip my angel. The rummynose are 2 years old and the angel is 4 years old.
I read some stories about rummy nose fin nipping, I always thought they are the most peaceful fish...lol

Upvote 0

jake37

One thing to keep in mind - there are actually three species of fishes commonly sold as rummy nose I do not know if they all have the same behavior.
-
I have 3 serpae with my angles (they were used to cycle a tank a year ago); they avoid the angels and each other. However others have reported fin nipping with them. Most say if they are in a 'large' school (6 or more) they will only chase each other. My angels are all adults now but they all started small (7 were frys from a pair i have and i think they were around an inch or so when i put them back with the parents). Didn't really measure them - i grew them out with some apistogramma i had in a 29 (btw apistogramma are another fish you could try but some of them are more peaceful than others - there are over 100 different species of apisto). If you go that route I have hongsloi and the ones i have are quite peaceful - at least torwards young angels

Upvote 0

RandomFishBoi

Question re: Bolivian rams or precox rainbow fish: do they show aggression towards angelfish, also Bolivian rams stay at the bottom so will it be an issue to cories.
Bolivian rams are very peaceful cichlids, even when breeding. They should be fine with cories and angels. Although you might run into some minor problems if the angels breed, and cories might eat bolivian ram eggs if they get the chance.

Same with precox rainbows. The angels might show a little bit of aggression to them when breeding, but rainbow fish are well suited to dealing with that.

Upvote 0

Oakvillehob

One thing to keep in mind - there are actually three species of fishes commonly sold as rummy nose I do not know if they all have the same behavior.
-
I have 3 serpae with my angles (they were used to cycle a tank a year ago); they avoid the angels and each other. However others have reported fin nipping with them. Most say if they are in a 'large' school (6 or more) they will only chase each other. My angels are all adults now but they all started small (7 were frys from a pair i have and i think they were around an inch or so when i put them back with the parents). Didn't really measure them - i grew them out with some apistogramma i had in a 29 (btw apistogramma are another fish you could try but some of them are more peaceful than others - there are over 100 different species of apisto). If you go that route I have hongsloi and the ones i have are quite peaceful - at least torwards young angels
Yes Apistogramma hongsloi look wonderful. I will definitely will look into them. Thanks for the suggestion.
Bolivian rams are very peaceful cichlids, even when breeding. They should be fine with cories and angels. Although you might run into some minor problems if the angels breed, and cories might eat bolivian ram eggs if they get the chance.

Same with precox rainbows. The angels might show a little bit of aggression to them when breeding, but rainbow fish are well suited to dealing with that.
Well I don’t plan to breed them so it’s a good thing the cories will eat their egg. Is one Bolivian ram enough or do I need to get more.

Upvote 0

RandomFishBoi

Is one Bolivian ram enough or do I need to get more.
I believe they can be kept singly and still be happy and healthy, but as with most fish species they do better with others of their own kind.

Upvote 0

jake37

I like pairs - pairs always make things interesting....

I believe they can be kept singly and still be happy and healthy, but as with most fish species they do better with others of their own kind.

Upvote 0

Oakvillehob

me too but just fear they would be aggressive towards Cories who are bottom dwellers too

Upvote 0

jake37

My angels never mess with the cories or loaches i have in my tank.... rams are frequently kept with corys without issues.

me too but just fear they would be aggressive towards Cories who are bottom dwellers too

Upvote 0

RandomFishBoi

Bolivian rams are too peaceful to harm your cories. Even if the rams pair up and breed, they rely more on intimidation than injury to protect their fry.

Upvote 0

Oakvillehob

Bolivian rams are too peaceful to harm your cories. Even if the rams pair up and breed, they rely more on intimidation than injury to protect their fry.
That’s great, I will buy a pair tomorrow. Thank you for the advice.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AlGo
Replies
Views
angsess78
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies