Angelfish Care

Angelfish Care

SouthAmericanCichlids
SouthAmericanCichlids submitted a new resource:

Angelfish Care - A brief guide on how to care for angelfish.

Angelfish Care Guide
Overview
This guide will teach you everything you need to know about keeping angels and what should be kept with them. But 1st a little background. There are 3 types of angels: Scalare, Leopoldi, and Altum. I will be covering Scalare today, as it is the most common and what all the colorful angelfish are. They are native to South America, in the Amazon Basin along with a few other river basins in...
Read more about this resource...

TClare
Nice article. I hope you dont mind if I just make a couple of corrections. In the wild P. scalare are not only found in blackwater rivers, but also in whitewater (brown, sediment-laden), including the main Amazon drainage, and clear water, and experience quite a range of pH up to at least 7.5. However since wild ones are virtually never sold I am sure commercially bred angelfish can do well with higher pH (as mentioned).

The other thing, the female genital papilla is blunter and wider while the male‘s is thinner, more pointed (The other way round in the article).

In support of your theory, I have angelfish, two of which are quite large, together with neon tetras. I had the neons first and got the angelfish when they were very small, they have never tried to eat the neons (So far...).

SouthAmericanCichlids
Sorry, I always mix them up, which is blunter and which is pointier, since I've only bred my angels once, and haven't seen breeding tubes since. Also thank you, I didn't know they were also in white water too. I keep my angels in 8.4 ph water and they're thriving.

SouthAmericanCichlids
Everyone, if you agree or have experience with what my theory says, about small fish with angels. Read/reread before you post please. Please leave your experience on this thread so we can help more people.

TClare
So far no problems, I have neon tetras and pencilfish with my 6 angelfish. The small fish were fully grown when I got the angels and the angels were very small then, but are quite big now.

LowConductivity
TClare said:
Nice article. I hope you dont mind if I just make a couple of corrections. In the wild P. scalare are not only found in blackwater rivers, but also in whitewater (brown, sediment-laden), including the main Amazon drainage, and clear water, and experience quite a range of pH up to at least 7.5. However since wild ones are virtually never sold I am sure commercially bred angelfish can do well with higher pH (as mentioned).

The other thing, the female genital papilla is blunter and wider while the male‘s is thinner, more pointed (The other way round in the article).

In support of your theory, I have angelfish, two of which are quite large, together with neon tetras. I had the neons first and got the angelfish when they were very small, they have never tried to eat the neons (So far...).
Second this^^^^.

While we do see some scalare from blackwater, (Rio Negro, Rio Nanay), the vast majority come from clear, or white water.

SouthAmericanCichlids
LowConductivity said:
Second this^^^^.

While we do see some scalare from blackwater, (Rio Negro, Rio Nanay), the vast majority come from clear, or white water.
Yeah, I edited it, thank you.

Batmantheanglefish
SouthAmericanCichlids said:
Everyone, if you agree or have experience with what my theory says, about small fish with angels. Please leave your experience on this thread.
I have no problems with mine but it could be bcs my angels are super calm and relaxed all the time lol. Mine are kept with pencilfish.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom