Angelfish bully?!?

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by critter_fritter79, Dec 19, 2009.

1. critter_fritter79

critter_fritter79Well Known MemberMember

I had 7 angelfish in my 55 gallon tank that I got off Ebay. All but 1 of them came to me pretty small, about quarter size, and the 1 other was over 1/2 dollar size. All had been going good then they started dying..2-3 a week until now the only one I have left is the large one...which has gotten VERY big. I don't know if i is male or female, but there is a "breeding tube" visible. The water parameters tested great with the API master kit..2x weekly water changes..all eating well..they seemed fine til mornings, then there would be another one dead etc. My daughter said she saw the big one chasing the others a lot. Is it possible that it chased them to death? Could this be some kind of "I want to breed with someone" thing???

2. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

im sorry for your loss :( if the water parimeters are all in check, and your ph of the tank and the ph of your tap isnt much different, it could be the bullying ....the bigger angels get, the more brave they get..and territorial..if you post a pic , we might be able to help sex yours....when angels get to the breeding age, it can look kinda violent..lots of chasing, lip locking, bumping each other etc....

3. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

The only other thing I can think of is that I bought this 55 gallon used...I obviously scrubbed it inside and out but I wonder if there is some kindof poison...like maybe one of the seams had started leaking and they fixed it with regular silicone...I am very leary of buying used tanks now...at least I will only buy from people I know in the future. Once my Mom and I brainstormed what the prob could be..it was almost funny the extent of the conspiracy thoery we came up with!:)

Attached Files:

4. Shawnie

looks like a beautiful gal to me!! love her coloring!

5. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

That's what I thought. I had noticed her breedig tube was very short...I was told the male's tube was longer. But the only thing we could think of besides possible toxins in the tank was her chasing the others to death...she is much, MUCH bigger than any of the others were. I am not sure if I should try to find 3-4 more her size or if I should just sell her to someone who has some roomates for her. Right now she is in the 20 gal tall with a small pleco and the 2-3 guppies she hasn't eaten yet...lol..she was VERY happy when I moved her..there were about 50 baby guppies in there to start out...now only 2-3!

6. Shawnie

:;laughingfeeder control!!
    if you put her back , id look for just a male for her...and put him in first for a week or so....then put her back...and also, whats in the 55g now ? a mating pair will need their space as they dont usually play well with others..and she has already shown that side of her to you

7. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

I am kind of juggling tanks at the moment...the cichlids went into the 55...but I am thinking about selling my oscar pair...I have to admit having to clean out their BIG poopie everyday and the water changes every other day are startinng to wear on me. They are in a 75 that is really too small for them..if I can find someone who wants the pair then I will be moving the cichlids to the 75 and the angel back to her 55...if I didn't already eed the 38 for the betta fry, I would put her in there, but at the moment I have about 125 fry in there that REALLY need that space... Santa..please come through for me!!:;santaclaus

P.S. I am watching a 60 gal flatback hex tank right now too...if I can get that one, the fry will go there so that would leave the 38 vacant:eek::;fru

EDIT: As far as the guppies...I swear she looked at me, smiled and then BURPED really big!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice