Help Angelfish breeding!!!

blennylover2323

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
ok, I maybe stressing over nothing but when I feed my fish today I saw that one of my angelfish has crazy large genitals that were completely normal sized yesterday. I instantly thought that it might have something to do with breeding because they are coming of age and showing some mating signs. I just look over to see her and another angelfish cleaning the side of my filter together. they are also attacking the rest of my tank mates and spending the whole time together. I definitely think they are are spawning and im so stressed because I am not ready!!
can anyone give me some helpful tips on what to do. also I don't have a tank set up for the new fry so what should I do? if I set up a tank now it won't have enough time to cycle. what should I do??????? need all the help I can get!

yukondog

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You should not be seeing any genitals other than the breeding tube, can you post a picture? Mine will peck and clean when they are about to lay,

OP
blennylover2323

blennylover2323

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
yukondog said:
You should not be seeing any genitals other than the breeding tube, can you post a picture? Mine will peck and clean when they are about to lay,
I definitely think they are breeding because I just saw them cleaning the side of my filter and attacking the rest of my tank mates. I am crazy nervous because none of my angelfish have spawned before. I tried to take a picture but when I come over they quickly swim around the tank really fast.
really need advice!! ha ha

AquEric

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you can catch them before they lay eggs use water from their tank bare bottom when they loose interests in the fry it's up to you I've done this a number of times

yukondog

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Don't worry if they lay eggs and there gone next time you look in on them, mine lay every 10-14 days like clock work sometimes they eat them and other time they dont, if you want to breed them then you will need another tank for the fry, when I want to breed mine I use a piece of slate or something as simple as a PVC pipe laid at a angle and let them lay on that and like AquEric said raise the fry in a separate tank with the tank water they were in, if your not ready dont worry about it and let nature take over till you have everything ready. Do you have brine shrimp to hatch and feed? I know it all may seem like a lot but it really isn't, the main thing with fry is clean water.

OP
blennylover2323

blennylover2323

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 4.59.28 PM.png
I definitely want to look after the fry so I do think that I will take the eggs out and place them in a different tank. I have heard about egg fungus and everything so I would love for someone just to clarify what and how I need to do things. so if I transfer the water from my current tank to the new one will I not need to cycle it? I'm really not good at this!! lol

KribensisLover1

Well Known
Reaction score
blennylover2323 said:
Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 4.59.28 PM.png
I definitely want to look after the fry so I do think that I will take the eggs out and place them in a different tank. I have heard about egg fungus and everything so I would love for someone just to clarify what and how I need to do things. so if I transfer the water from my current tank to the new one will I not need to cycle it? I'm really not good at this!! lol
The water is safe as it’s from the original tank and also the fish will produce so little waste you won’t have a ton of ammonia (or any) so you don’t need a cycled Fry tank. This is correct right experts?!

OP
blennylover2323

blennylover2323

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
yukondog said:
Don't worry if they lay eggs and there gone next time you look in on them, mine lay every 10-14 days like clock work sometimes they eat them and other time they dont, if you want to breed them then you will need another tank for the fry, when I want to breed mine I use a piece of slate or something as simple as a PVC pipe laid at a angle and let them lay on that and like AquEric said raise the fry in a separate tank with the tank water they were in, if your not ready dont worry about it and let nature take over till you have everything ready. Do you have brine shrimp to hatch and feed? I know it all may seem like a lot but it really isn't, the main thing with fry is clean water.
thanks for the reply! I do think that I am just stressed because nothing like this has happened before. I don't have any brine shrimp (except for the frozen ones) and will look into them. I have watched videos on how to hatch them so I try to do that. I have been told I can use golden pearls for the first few times they need to be feed and was wandering about what people think about them. I have a spare 2 gallon tank, 15 gallon tank and 60 gallon so I will set up the 15 gallon tomorrow. another thing is that my fish start to clean one surface then after a few minutes they move on to another. is that normal? I am probably stressing over nothingo_O

yukondog

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
blenny, what your seeing is the female breeding tube, if your seeing this now and no eggs I would say your going too, does the other angle have a longer thin one? If not and it looks like hers than you probably have two females and than of course you won't need to worry about it.

OP
blennylover2323

blennylover2323

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
the "supposed" male angelfish has a short skinny breathing tube which looks nothing like hers. so I'm guessing that it is a male, it also has a slight bump on it's head.

also another thing is that she keeps cleaning one thing and then moving to another and then back again. is this normal?

yukondog

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If what you have is the adult brine shrimp [frozen] you will need to learn how to hatch them and it is very easy, you dont need all the junk they want to sell you, I have been using a two liter bottle for years, just watch some of the youtube videos, I have never used golden pearls just BBS, do you have a extera sponge filter if not I would go ahead and get one and get it established and ready for when you need it, if you do get fry use a turkey baster to spot feed them, I like to use small tank for small fry, the bigger the tank the harder it is for them to find food, I would use the 2 gl. with a 5/10 gl. sponge filter and do daily [10-20%] water changes, what works for me may not for others, if the fry hatch out in the main tank I use a turkey baster to suck up the fry not the wigglers just the free swimming you may lose a few but you should be able to get the bulk, can you get a pict of the other "male" so we can see it's breeding tube

OP
blennylover2323

blennylover2323

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
so I think This is the male. I am not sure if it is a female or male breeding tube.
quMdeZeJTI+fCleQlWqnww.jpg

OP
blennylover2323

blennylover2323

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
she laid!!

it did not go well... the two angelfish were hanging together and then one starting laying and the other ate all of the eggs as soon as she laid them. so why did every egg she laid get eaten? am I doing something wrong?!! she is still laying at the moment and they are all being eaten so am not sure on what to do.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Here is the process:
They will lay eggs and guard them.
After 3ish days the eggs will hatch and they will move the wrigglers to a new spot and guard them. Wrigglers look like eggs that rock back and forth but don't swim.
After 5ish days they will begin to swim after about 12 hours you will need to add some very fine food (baby brine shrimp is what most people recommend).
-
Some comments. First few times they lay eggs it is unlikely they will reach wriggler stage - they may not even be fertilized and they might eat them.
-
I have 3 angels - the first time one laid eggs; one fertilized and the third female sat under the first and immediately ate them - boy was the other female angry.
-
You can steal the eggs (or wrigglers or frys at anytime) to enhance likeliness of hatching or living.
Angels will breed frequently - once every 2 to 4 weeks so if you (or they) are not ready now don't fret you can repeat in a few weeks.
If you want the parents to hatch the eggs then leave some dim light on at night - it helps them see.
If you really want to raise the young ones get a brine shrimp hatchery (I recommend this one:
amazon.com/Brine-Shrimp-Direct-Hatchery-Dish/dp/B079C6BN2B/ref=sr_1_1
-
it is 35 dollars including shipping - easy to use and includes enough brine shrimp eggs to last a while - you can order more - do not put too many eggs in the hatchery - i recommend 1/2 to 1/3 of what the instructions indicate per hatching since you want to feed the shrimps in the first 2 or 3 days of hatching - after that you want to hatch new set.
-

OP
blennylover2323

blennylover2323

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
okay so I have a question. my angelfish pair have started breeding but are eating the eggs due to being in a community tank. so do I remove the pair to a different tank when spawning time comes along? it just seems that I will be taking them in and out of the tank quite a lot. or should I leave them in and hope that in the future they won't eat their eggs?? what would or have you guys done?

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just let them spawn a few times and eventually they got it right. You can remove them if you want and that would certainly make it easier to raise the fry but it will still likely take 3 or 4 attempts to get some fertilized eggs. Also a bit depends on what type of parents they are - you will not know this for a few more months. In my specific case I have two females with a male and one of the female/males are able to raise the frys to wriggler stage with no problem in a dense community tank (clown loaches, yoyo loaches, pleco, ...). The other female so far has not been quite as good (yet).
-
The first few times they are unlikely to get viable eggs - it takes practice but as i said if you wish to put them in a sep tank it will make things easier long term if raising frys is your goal.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
blennylover2323 said:
so I think This is the male. I am not sure if it is a female or male breeding tube.
quMdeZeJTI+fCleQlWqnww.jpg
I know its been a couple weeks since this was posted...but just wanted to say that is a female breeding tube. So if this is not the one that was laying the eggs, you have a female pair. Which is not unheard of. But you obviously won't end up with any fertile eggs from the pair. Has there been any spawning action since?

OP
blennylover2323

blennylover2323

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
bizaliz3 said:
I know its been a couple weeks since this was posted...but just wanted to say that is a female breeding tube. So if this is not the one that was laying the eggs, you have a female pair. Which is not unheard of. But you obviously won't end up with any fertile eggs from the pair. Has there been any spawning action since?
There has been no more spawning which has been extremely disappointing. I have brought a new 33 gallon tank so I can put in two angels for breeding. I have one male and some females so I will put one of each in the tank and hopefully they will breed. Would love some advice and helpful tips!!

New Threads