Angelfish Breeding Questions

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
For a while I have wanted to breed some sort of fish. My original idea was to try neon tetras but my water is too hard to breed them in. I never told anyone about this because I didn't think it would ever happen but I have started to realize it is possible for me.

I have some questions for you angelfish breeders. Here goes.
What is the proper pH? I have heard pH should be between 6 and 8 but I am wondering if this is correct. My current pH is 8.2 but I should be able to get it down to 7.8 at least, 7.6 if possible with driftwood and rainwater.

What tank should I get for breeding them? Would a standard 20 gallon be too small? Would a 29 be better? How big do fry have to be before I start selling them? Does it matter what color and fin morphs I mix?

How often, how much, and what do I feed the fry once they are free swimming? How often do I change the water and how much?

Sorry I am asking so many questions, but Google Search is giving me a lot of different answers :sour:

These are the things I know: They need a sponge filter and a heater.
I have been told not to feed them when they are wigglers. Is this correct?
That the temp should be between 78-82 degrees F. I think I'll keep the water around 80.

Thank you so much in advance!

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
AquaticQueen said:
For a while I have wanted to breed some sort of fish. My original idea was to try neon tetras but my water is too hard to breed them in. I never told anyone about this because I didn't think it would ever happen but I have started to realize it is possible for me.

I have some questions for you angelfish breeders. Here goes.
What is the proper pH? I have heard pH should be between 6 and 8 but I am wondering if this is correct. My current pH is 8.2 but I should be able to get it down to 7.8 at least, 7.6 if possible with driftwood and rainwater.

What tank should I get for breeding them? Would a standard 20 gallon be too small? Would a 29 be better? How big do fry have to be before I start selling them? Does it matter what color and fin morphs I mix?

How often, how much, and what do I feed the fry once they are free swimming? How often do I change the water and how much?

Sorry I am asking so many questions, but Google Search is giving me a lot of different answers :sour:

These are the things I know: They need a sponge filter and a heater.
I have been told not to feed them when they are wigglers. Is this correct?
That the temp should be between 78-82 degrees F. I think I'll keep the water around 80.

Thank you so much in advance!
Hi, I cant answer all of the questions but I can offer input in some.

pH- I don't think this matters as much as the hardness of the water and the TDS. pH is best put in 7s. Some people can't breed angels in 7.2, some can breed them in 8 pH water. For dwarf cichlids hard water/high TDS will affect the fertilization rate, though I believe this applies to angels as well.

a 20g is fine for breeding but you will need a larger tank to grow them out. 30 gallons may be enough. The common size I see for angel fry is half dollar (US currency) pieces.

Live baby brine shrimp can be used for feeding and there will be a need for daily water changing as they grow. I would assume 50% daily is a good place to start.

As a note, you will need to HEAVILY cull angelfish. More often than not they are born with defects, like missing fins, or the inability to swim upright.

I don't think fin/color morphs matter unless you are going after a specific market.

New Threads