Angelfish Being Aggressive To Partner

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by Fishkin, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Fishkin

FishkinNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    2 years
    Okay, so I have had a pair of angelfish for awhile now and they have gone through phases of being extremely friendly and then other times the bigger (female) angelfish is very aggressive to my male angelfish! The male is both younger and a little smaller but both are adults. They have tried mating multiple times and she has laid eggs and he has fertilized them but they never make it because other fish eat them or they do themselves because their stressed about my other fish eating them! I have them currently in a 30 gallon tank and take good care of their environment to try to make it the least stressful for them. Lately my female has been very directly and passively aggressive to my male. She is CONSTANTLY following him, bullying him, watching his every move, and giving him no personal space. She always cuts him off or corners him! She is like an overprotective clingy girlfriend he can’t get away from lol I feel bad for my buddy Harry (my male angelfish) and don’t know what to do for him to let him have a little more freedom, privacy, and be able to swim freely. He has tattered fins from her constantly nipping at him and he just always has to be on edge. He rarely fights back or stands up for himself unless he gets super fed up with her but he only does it few & far between. Does anyone have any suggestions on what would help my buddy Harry have a more relaxed life? Do I need to separate them? Get more angelfish? (since I’ve heard some say they’re schooling fish), Get other types of fish who may take some of the attention off of Harry? Give them a bigger tank? Or is this just normal female-male partner mating behavior and she’s just trying to get him to do his “job” (as a so called fish expert told me a little while ago) Any advice or suggestions would be awesome and me & Harry would really appreciate it! I’ll add a video of their interactions below but it’s not a great video to showcase the problem because Harvey (my female angelfish) was on her best behavior for this video because she saw me standing there watching them! Thanks for any help or suggestions! :)

2. Rok55

Rok55Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +79
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I would suggest several things:
    1st would be a larger tank (if you can pull it off) giving them more room (separation)
    2nd is provide more and taller aquascape that provides not only physical but visual separation
    3rd include another non-aggressive non-nipping type fish to relieve some of the stress

3. candiedragon

candiedragonWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +846
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    30 gallons is pretty cramped for a pair of angelfish, I'd be pretty intense if I was stuck in a small room with somebody too lol.

If you want to encourage them to breed then try providing upright structures like tall broad-leaf plants or wood work. More decorations would also help the angelfish feel a little less tension since they can spend some time "away" from each other if needed. Maybe try getting the tank more heavily planted or at least more decorations like root-like structures for them to weave between or rock structures for them to explore. Basically, make their environment more engaging.

I think they need no less than a 50 gallon tank and more decorations consisting of tall upright structures, be it plants, rocks, wood, and/or man-made decorations.

Become a Fishlore Member