Angelfish Becoming Aggressive

CyndiLove

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi. I am wondering if I have a breeding pair since they've been fine for a few months and have recently (mostly the striped one) has begun chasing and biting at the plattys and neons. 1 platty, 1 ghost catfish, and a few neons have died. What should I do if the angels are getting ready to breed?

I have a 60gal with now:
2 angels about 2" in diameter.
1 common pleco 3"
1 ABN pleco <1" (he hides well)
4 very cool little red fish
2 red tail plattys
2 ghost catfish
Several neons.

Thanks for any suggestions.
20190122_141448.jpg
20190117_083614.jpg

Collin Chorba

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you have another tank I would put them in there to breed a few times then reintroduce them to the new tank, if not your other options include letting it play out or rehoming them, you could also try a divider

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Add taller decor to break up line of sight, provide the angels with one piece of slate or terracotta pot in a corner that goes up as high as possible. They need the ability to chose a section of the tank to guard, as it is they are trying to claim the whole tank and your other inhabitants will suffer.
Taller plants, decor (driftwood, rocks, resin decor) to break the tank up into several sections so the other fish can get out of sight of the angels.
Angels will breed regularly (normally around 10-14 days between spawns) and get aggressive towards other fish every time. Rehoming one is going to be the easiest solution, however even going that route I would get some taller decor still.

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
angel's natural habit have tall vegetation. they are an ambush predatory fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom