Angelfish attacked by Cichlid

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by kspenclux, Dec 23, 2012.

1. kspencluxValued MemberMember

My male angelfish was torn to shreds today....
    I know it was the electric blue i was looking after for a petstore. So needless to say he is going back first thing tomorrow morning.
    You know those long fins on angels that hang down in the front??? Yeah well one of his is half gone and then the rest of his fins are pretty much shredded... I took him out and put stress coat in the hospital tank with him. He isnt interested in food, i wouldnt be either though.
    What can i do to help?

2. nippybetta

nippybettaWell Known MemberMember

At point my angel had fin rot pretty bad. I fixed it with melafix, it only took about a week for them to grow back. However, I think the conditioner will neutralize the medicine, so you might want to make a large water change. Clean water really helps fins grow.

If his find are too bad, he might not make it. Good luck.

3. OP
    OP
    k

kspencluxValued MemberMember

Thanks. I am hoping that he will. If he can make it through the night then that will give me a chance to work with him some. he was already so stressed out that i didn't want to mess with him to much in fear of doing more harm than good at the moment. He is currently just kinda sitting there but he isnt breathing weird or looking scared.

4. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

Yowsers. Glad you found the angel alive! Unless there is body damage I would do large daily water changes with a quality conditioner that helps the slime coat. StressCoat or Prime are the ones I use. I would also not offer any foods for a couple of days to allow his system time to begin to recover from the attack.

If you ever notice any unusual growths or other signs of disease react immediately. He is in a very fragile state and disease will be difficult for him to fight off.

Keep us posted.

5. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

African Cichlids don't mix well with Angelfish. Just a little side note, Angels are South American Cichlids :)

6. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

Best wishes for your fish. Keep the water as pristine as you can. Clean fresh water goes such a long way in helping a fish to heal.

Too, adding Melafix may help repair the torn fins as mentioned above by Nippybetta:

Ken candycane2.gif

7. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

What a situation :(

I'll throw a thought out there too.... Would Garlic Guard (or garlic) help? Turning to those with experience in the area, but I know garlic is good for immune systems.

Hold on for confirmation that it would be beneficial before proceeding though.

I hope your angel makes it..... :console:

8. Aquarist

Yes Ryan, adding Garlic Guard will help and I highly recommend it. Glad you brought it up! :)

Garlic Juice from minced garlic in a jar (in water, not oil) will help:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...ed-garlic-jar-just-example-those-needing.html

If you want to make your own garlic juice, follow the recipe below:
    "Benefits of garlic:

Purifies blood; detoxifies; lowers cholesterol levels; lowers blood pressure; blood thinner; prevents blood clots; boost immune system; prevents heart disease and strokes; destroys cancer cells; muscle relaxant; antibiotic; antifungal; suppresses growth of tumors
    Using a medium size bulb; peel cloves apart, snip off ends; microwave cloves for 5 to 10 seconds to pop hulls; remove hulls; cut the length of the cloves in thin slices; place in cup of hot (from tap) water; cover, and let sit at room temperature for 12 hrs; mash the cloves and strain for immediate use; refrigerate until needed. good for two to three weeks.
    The longer the cloves soak, the stronger the solution."

The information above comes from the link below:

Storing Fresh Garlic:

Too, using Vita Chem for additional vitamins will also help:

I use both, Garlic Guard and Vita Chem routinely for all of my fish. The Garlic Guard I use twice a week, usually on fish treats such as presoaked freeze dried krill. The vitamins can be added to the tank and to the fishes food. Follow the directions on the label.

Thanks Ryan!

Ken

9. OP
    OP
    k

Thanks for the tips! He seems to be doing better considering how he was last night. The garlic sounds like a good idea. I got rid of the Cichlid this morning as a trade for a new parrot fish that will come in for me on thursday or friday:) i love my parrots:)

563752_364290297000858_205083636_n.jpg
    this is what he looked like this morning:(
    he isn't interested in food right now... he just kinda sits there so i'm not really sure what to do about it...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2012
  10. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Yeah, that doesn't look good. Are there any other inhabitants in the tank? Really doesn't look like it's going to make it.

11. Meeps83

Meeps83Well Known MemberMember

Just curious, but why were they in the same tank?

12. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

Oh my, that is even worse than I was imagining!! That fish is going to need some help. I would dose MelaFix along with daily water changes. If those fins don't start to regrow they may never return.

Plus keep a close eye on him as there could also be internal damage. Do not attempt to feed him. After these kinds of attacks angels will refuse food. It is their way of recovering.

What is the temperature in the QT tank? Heat will be needed to help the fins regrow. But it is a fine line because in this weakened state, bacterial growth can get a strong foothold and cause a loss of life.

In these types of situations all you can do is keep the tank in pristine condition; and hope for the best while preparing for the worst.

13. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Personally, I'd do kordon fish protector over Melefix. Perhaps both? Clean water is going to be super important.

14. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

MelaFix with a slime coat agent, such as Prime or StressCoat works quite well. And is the first thing I do under these types of situations. Coupled with daily water changes and fresh garlic juice, in a week improvement should be noticed. If not, then it'll be time to dig out the antibiotics.

Fish Protector is something I personally do not use, so cannot comment on it. Instead I use the other slime coat enhancers along with fresh garlic juice when needed.

15. OP
    OP
    k

This morning he was on his side and it looked like fungus was growing on his fins. I decided to euthanize him because i didnt want him to suffer any longer. Thanks for the help everyone.

16. chenay83New MemberMember

Sorry to hear that:(

17. AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

Ah, sorry about the loss of your Angelfish.

18. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

Sorry to hear that.

19. Aquarist

Good evening,

I'm sure you did what you thought was best for your fish.

RIP

Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice