angelfish, at what size do they pair? Question

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by upgrade, Mar 30, 2010.

1. upgrade

upgrade Valued Member Member

Alright, today i noticed that 2 of my angelfish were pecking at each other locking jaws and twisting. i haven't seen them doing that before. My question is, are they fighting or pairing?

Tank size: 55 gallon (square)
    Body size : 1.5 - 2 inch
    Amount: 7 (2 smaller ones being 1 and 1/2 inch body size and the others are about 2 inch body size)

How many times have they done this?: Once to my knowledge
    Water readings?: this tank is fully cycled and levels are healthy
    Are they eating? : crazy hungry (they are crazy when they eat i give them a mix of foods)
    Do you have a breeding cone? : Nope

their is only angelfish in the tank. if their is something else i didn't add ask and ill try and give you the info needed.

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

3. OP
    OP
    upgrade

Thanks but iv already gone threw that before i posted here. I was mainly asking what the average size of angelfish start to pair up at as far as body size because i dont know how actually old they are.iv had these angels for about 4 months now. But i dont remember how big they were when i got them.

The last time i had angelfish spawn was when i was 14 years old and back then all i really did was put them in my room and gave them food, my parents kept up with the water changes. they put the fry in their 125 gallon tank.

Keep in mind this was many many years ago lol

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  4. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

giggles @ many many years ago....to be 14 again hey? ;)

angels can pair up very young.....and the pairing you are describing is probably a pecking order being established...they wont breed for a bit yet...breeding is around 8-12 months old..size wise its hard to tell you as they all grow at different rates.......as long as there are no injuries, its very normal....angels dont need a breeding cone per say...they will breed on anything from a big leaf to your filter outtake ...just be careful as your tank info says you have nitrites and if that is so, you arent cycled or are in a mini cycle and the water changes are a must...especially with growing angels ....if the ammonia/nitrites are 0 in the angel tank, and its for another tank (as you have them all listed together) ignore that last bit of advice....good luck!

5. f

flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

I am not sure what your plans are but I think 7 angles is a few too many in a 55 gallon tank. Once they grow they will be cramped. I was told by several reputable breeders and "angel fish" pros that 8-10 is the max number for my 120g tank.

6. OP
    OP
    upgrade

Actually the angel tank is fully cycled my nitrite level is 0 and nitrates is like 15

My guppy tank on the other had had .25-1.0 nitrite these 2x's a day water changes are getting annoying.

and my 30 gallon tank with TSS isn't ready yet (even tho it says you can add fish whenever)

7. charzar-g

charzar-g Well Known Member Member

I don't think its a matter of size, but a matter of age. I have three angelfish, who admittedly are cramped, but my parents won't let me get a bigger tank for them.
    I've had them for four years, and they're still quite small (again small tank) And mine have never spawned.

8. m

mosin360 Well Known Member Member

You are supposed to add fish when you add the TSS.

9. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

I have to disagree with this. I have 5 Juvies in my 45G along with 3 Garra Rufa, 4 Albino corys and 2 bolivian rams.

My angels are probably coming up for the 8 month mark and I think I'm starting to get a pair (I'l post Shawnie a PM on this one :p), my 2 spend most of their time in one area of the tank and won't allow other angels into that area.

10. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

but what is your ammonia for the 2 tanks? and what test kit are you using?

if you added TSS to your 30g tank, you are suppose to add fish with it....anything else used as an ammonia source, could be too strong for TSS..dont rely on it to cycle the tank without using it properly...heres a link to explain more https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-nitrogen-cycle/58116-q-tetra-tetra-safestart.html

huh? LOL
    Im not one that ever suggest putting a bunch of juvies in a tank and watch them pair off...im more for one to watch them at the LFS to find your pairs.....or are you talking about something else?:;dk

11. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

My bad, I ment PM you about them in the corner defending it :) asking if it was a pair. It was my choice to buy the juvies :)

12. c

cakers13 New Member Member

Of the only four Angels I have ever had I was lucky enough to have two pairs of breeding angelfish all bought from my local fish store. The first two paired up after a few months(Don't know their age they were medium size when I bought them, under a year old). I think their second or third time laying eggs was the closest they came to success. They had about 10-12 wigglers then about 8-10 free swimmers. What killed them was they would swim from off the slate andown to the gravel and wiggle their way down and die. They just could'nt seem to get it right. I would section off the tank so none of the other fish can get to the eggs, but the Angels must eat them or I have a sneaky fish/frog or Flounder who jumps over the barrier at night and jumps back before morning. That pair did die before they could ever reproduce. I swear the male would get mad at the female for not making fry and they would attack each other in their section of the tank which is what I think eventaully killed them. Sonow I'm down to my last two. One is an Albino and the other is a solid gold. They have never had any success either. They would lay a hundredeggs and the next day they would all be gone. This has been going on for over a year around every 10-14 days. Makes me wonder how they ever have any success in the wild. What am I doing wrong? Is their any way to help this process along. Also I was wondering if one Angel is an Albino(the male) and the other is not(The Female)can any of their offspring be Albino's? THANKS!! Does anyone else find it very difficult/annoying to try and go back to correct something in your post and it erases what you wrote ahead? Very annoying!!!

13. OP
    OP
    upgrade

I did put fish in with the tank they are just the .10 cent feeder fish. i have 3 in the tank (actually bought another 30 off craigslist so i have 2 using safe-start (followed directions on bottle\the forums)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice