Help Angelfish at surface and not feeding?

Best Answer - View A201's answer
OP
Atiger25

Atiger25

Reaction score
Should add their coloration is fine and they do not seem to be gasping.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How long have you been treating for ich? My guess is its stress related due to ich and the high temp from treating it. Once you're done with the treatment if you were successful they should be fine.

OP
Atiger25

Atiger25

Reaction score
e_watson09 said:
How long have you been treating for ich? My guess is its stress related due to ich and the high temp from treating it. Once you're done with the treatment if you were successful they should be fine.
I’ve been treating for about a week now, the fish that had ich have died from something else so I’m just doing it as a precaution at this point.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you don't see anymore signs of it you can do a really big gravel vac and then start reducing the water temp. I'd imagine they'll go back to normal after that.

OP
Atiger25

Atiger25

Reaction score
e_watson09 said:
If you don't see anymore signs of it you can do a really big gravel vac and then start reducing the water temp. I'd imagine they'll go back to normal after that.
I will do that tonight thanks.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
80 degrees won't kill Ick. The temp needs to be between 86 - 89.5 degrees to be effective.
The Angel might have the parasite in the gills. This could explain why the fish is hanging at the surface.
Ammonia should be zero. A 50% WC would be a good idea.
Hope things get better soon.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ammonia should be at zero, but 0.25 ppm is within the margin of error, so if you're sure it's no higher I wouldn't worry about it too much, but a water change can't hurt.

As stated above 80° isn't warm enough to treat ich, and that temperature shouldn't be bothering your angelfish anyway. What temp to you usually keep the tank?

OP
Atiger25

Atiger25

Reaction score
A201 said:
80 degrees won't kill Ick. The temp needs to be between 86 - 89.5 degrees to be effective.
The Angel might have the parasite in the gills. This could explain why the fish is hanging at the surface.
Ammonia should be zero. A 50% WC would be a good idea.
Hope things get better soon.
I’m using an ich treatment, the hike in temperature was only to speed the life cycle up a bit. I was just about to bring things back to normal as I’ve been treating for almost a week since the last fish to have it left just to be safe. Thanks for the advice I’ll definitely be doing a WC soon.

OP
Atiger25

Atiger25

Reaction score
Update- One of the Angels is now dead... could it be neon tetra disease? I had some neons and the were the first to go, I had 13 fish and now I’m down to one angel in about a week, and that could die later too. Should I just empty the tank and start over?

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NTD is more or less limited to Neons.
Columnaris is a disease with similar symptoms, in particular white or gray dead patches of skin tissue.
Columnaris is a common, very lethal bacteria.
No need to drain the tank at this point. A 50% WC would be a good idea & attempt to maintain the health of the tankmates.

New Threads