Angelfish, are they male female?

MelBall

Hi there, I'm new to Fishlore. Can anyone tell me from my photos if my angelfish are male or female. I would like to try breed them but not sure if I have 4 males or mixed sex. Thank you so much.
IMG_20210919_163431.jpg
193624.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210919_163457.jpg
    IMG_20210919_163457.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210919_163517.jpg
    IMG_20210919_163517.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 10

Ghelfaire

Almost impossible to tell until they start pairing off to breed.

Upvote 0

MelBall

Thanks, they seem to have paired off but I think they both males. I could be wrong but the 2 larger ones (Orange one and Black one in the one picture) have been together for about 3-4 years, the other two blackish ones have only just been put into the tank in the past week.

Maybe I'm wanting something to happen too soon and must wait a while.

Upvote 0

TClare

What makes you think they are two males? I wasn't sure which ones you meant. The two that have been together 3-4 years are unlikely to be a pair.

Upvote 0

MelBall

These two big ones have been together for about 3-4 years and have never laid eggs so I thought they were males plus their heads looked like they have the male bulge. (See pic added)

Could I force one of them to like one of the new younger angels by putting them in a tank together thus separating them.

IMG_20210919_163544.jpg

Upvote 0

TClare

Probably not until they are ready, how old are the younger ones?

Upvote 0

MelBall

The lady we bought them from didn't tell us how old they were but they are only a little smaller than my big ones. I have to look closely at the black ones to check who's who.

They all fought in the beginning when I put the new ones in so bad I separated them for a couple hours but now they all swimming around together without fighting.

Upvote 0

TClare

You’ll just have to wait…

Upvote 0

Ghelfaire

Do you have enough flat surfaces for them to lay eggs on?

Upvote 0

MelBall

I have put a piece of tile and a piece of slate in the tank. I am now thinking I have too many other fish in my tank. Guppies, Swords, Mollies, Cory, Pleco and a Red tail black shark. It's a 4ft tank so there is plenty of space for them all but I might move my angels out and give them some peace and a chance to breed.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Imnew
  • Question
Replies
Views
Dennis57
Replies
Views
devsi