Angelfish and silver dollars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Royal pleco

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello, this is my first post on this site ... I currently have a 10 gallon tank (2 Black Skirt tetras and 3 Albino Cory's) I am upgrading to a 180 or 210 gallon.. Would a school of 6 silver dollars mess with 5 angel fish? They will be roughly the same size (juvenile) and grow up together. I know I maybe should of posted this in stocking forum, but you guys know your angels. I am going to have other fish in my tank (Black skirt tetras, cory's, 1 dwarf gourami and plecos.) So basically, has anyone seen silver dollars and angel fish get along? Thank you,
Josh

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning and Welcome to Fish Lore,

Silver Dollars are some of the most peaceful fish I've ever owned. It would be more likely that your Angels will show aggression towards the Silver Dollars. (especially at mating time).

I think the Silver Dollars would hold their own though and they are fast enough to escape any advances the Angels may make. (In larger tanks)

Great idea to keep the Silver Dollars in schools of 5 or more.

Best of luck and I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ditto to Aquarist, I have had angels and silver dollars together with no problems ever. The silver dollars sure kept my plants trimmed back...big veggie eaters!!!...thats the only drawback I ever experienced.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good point Ted about the plants. That's why my 265g isn't planted because of my Silver Dollars.

Oh, Silver Dollars love to eat Romaine Lettuce and the green skin off of fresh zucchini. (I don't recommend feeding Iceberg lettuce as it has no nutritional value for humans so I can't see it doing anything for my fish).

Ken

OP
R

Royal pleco

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you for the welcome : ) This discovery about Silver Dollars is very good, completes my future tank.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
welcome to fishlore!!
great advice from everyone...and I also keep angels/silvers together
and not sure if I read that wrong in you OP, but black skirts should NOT go with angels ..they are huge fin nippers unless you have a very large school to keep them busy with eachother
goodluck on the new tank!

Alee C.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'll put in my haha love that one) anyway, I myself own Silver dollars, and am planning on getting an angelfish. From all the research I've done, I've seen that for the most part they seem to get along fine. Like the others have said the angels would be more likely to attack the silver dollars then the other way around. Also silver dollars(or at least mine) seem to be very fast. I'm wondering if they're on the ''list of dither fish'', so I think they would be alright.

OP
R

Royal pleco

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey. do Silver Dollars swim as fast and as jittery as Giant Danios? In other words, are they always on the move, really fast? I had GD's before and had to return them, they made me dizzy! Thanks again for the replies. And shawnie, yes, I was planning on keeping Black skirts with my angels (I guess not anymore) from what you told me, (how big of a school would I need do u think of the black skirts, if I wanted to entertain the idea(probably should not be doing that either) thanks for the info..

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
if you go with a 210g tank, you could have a school of 8-10 and they SHOULD leave others alone...but they still are notorious for fin nipping....silvers IMO only dart around when scared, started, or chased...they are NOT like danios IMO who are constantly spastic lol

Neji

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello, this is my first post on this site ... I currently have a 10 gallon tank (2 Black Skirt tetras and 3 Albino Cory's) I am upgrading to a 180 or 210 gallon.. Would a school of 6 silver dollars mess with 5 angel fish? They will be roughly the same size (juvenile) and grow up together. I know I maybe should of posted this in stocking forum, but you guys know your angels. I am going to have other fish in my tank (Black skirt tetras, cory's, 1 dwarf gourami and plecos.) So basically, has anyone seen silver dollars and angel fish get along? Thank you,
Josh
Silver Dollars will definitely not go after angels since silver dollars are only vegetarians and are very peaceful despite being a cousin of the Piranha Although your silver dollars would want to eat up a lot of your aquatic plants. So you can get aquatic plants (if you are planning to) but get strong bright light because the plants will grow back faster.

Angels can be aggressive especially during spawning, and if you are going to put in silver dollars in your new tank. GET THEM FIRST!! And then get the Angels in second. You don't want to do it the other way since angelfish are cichlids and will start to control their own territory after a few days or so....

Deederville

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Great advice from everyone!!! I also agree that angels and silvers are good together. I believe that silvers are the first on the list of fish that can be kept with angels. Also, as someone else has said, if the angels start spawning, they become very agressive. If possible, if you plan to breed them that is, try putting the other fish in another tank until the angels have bred and their babies are free swimming. Good luck with your tank setup!!

Nikki

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
While I have nothing to add since it's all been well said, I'll just say thats one huge upgrade you plan on doing. A 10g to a 180g-210g is a huge step in my view. Jealous I am but my wallet would hide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 63 65.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.8%

Top Bottom