Angelfish and rummynose/cardinal tetras

Lebeeze

I went to my LFS today to check out the tetras they had because I plan on adding a school of them to my 60 gallon tank next week, I was asking the guy who works there about what tetras I should keep with my 2 angelfish, I was really interested in rummynose or cardinals because I want something with a nice bright color. Anyways he said they are both bad choices because the Angel's will eat them. I was sure I read that rummynose tetras were good for an angel tank. Am I wrong? If so what would be the best option in terms of a nice 15 or so fish for a school?

FinalFins

Hi, its a bet with cardinals, large adult-sized will not be eaten with regular angels, same with rummynose.

CoryBoi

Hi, its a bet with cardinals, large adult-sized will not be eaten with regular angels, same with rummynose.
Really? Don’t rummynose get bigger than cardinals?

jake37

It is border line. I've always kept cardinals with angels but now and then I seem to have one less - though it is hard to get a count since they don't really school and spread out. My angels were clearly large enough after 9 months to nibble on cardinals but it would have taken a bit of effort and for the most part they were pretty lazy. If you do a search or whatever some say it is safe and some say they are expensive snacks. Some of my cardinals have a bit of age now ( 1 1/2 to 2 years old) and at least 5 of them pretty darn large but the smallest ones are probably at risk.

Lebeeze

It is border line. I've always kept cardinals with angels but now and then I seem to have one less - though it is hard to get a count since they don't really school and spread out. My angels were clearly large enough after 9 months to nibble on cardinals but it would have taken a bit of effort and for the most part they were pretty lazy. If you do a search or whatever some say it is safe and some say they are expensive snacks. Some of my cardinals have a bit of age now ( 1 1/2 to 2 years old) and at least 5 of them pretty darn large but the smallest ones are probably at risk.
Do you know of a nice schooling fish I can get that definitely will not become food ? The guy at the lfs told me to get the Congo tetra but I really wanted something with a nice vibrant color, like a bright blue or red or something!

jake37

I like white fin rosy tetra. They look like serpae tetra or black fin tetra but are a bit more colourful - a reddish pink colour with white fins.
-
What size tank do you have ? Also at 1 1/2 - 2 inches it will be a while before the angles can eat cardinals. If they grow up cardinals they might just leave them alone but no promises.

Lebeeze

I like white fin rosy tetra. They look like serpae tetra or black fin tetra but are a bit more colourful - a reddish pink colour with white fins.
-
What size tank do you have ? Also at 1 1/2 - 2 inches it will be a while before the angles can eat cardinals. If they grow up cardinals they might just leave them alone but no promises.
It's a 60 gallon tank, I have 2 Angel's, 6 blue rams, 2 dwarf gourami and 6 kuhlI loaches. I just wanted a colorful school of something to finish it off. I'm thinking 10 to 15. Does this sound good?

jake37

Yea they like 80 degree - 10 to 15. You could probably get cardinals or rummynose if you prefer - as I said there is a chance when the angels get larger they might snack on one or two but if they grow up with them it isn't as likely. But you might prefer the white fin rosy tetra - they are nice looking fishes and your dwarf gourami add some blue.

FinalFins

Really? Don’t rummynose get bigger than cardinals?

Yes, but they often come in around 1" so they can be a easy snack for angels. If they are pretty large (closer to 1 1/2" ) they should not be eaten

jake37

But his angels are small so by the time the angels are adult the noses should be larger.

Yes, but they often come in around 1" so they can be a easy snack for angels. If they are pretty large (closer to 1 1/2" ) they should not be eaten

CoryBoi

I have only ever seen 1 1/2 or bigger at my LFS, but they like only get full grown fish, besides cichlids and bigger fish,

riskybiscuits

I've been thinking about the same thing recently as I consider a larger tank. I had thought about emperor tetra?

MacZ

Neighbour of mine has Angels and Emperors. Great combination. Doesn't work with every colour form of Angels though.

I've been thinking about the same thing recently as I consider a larger tank. I had thought about emperor tetra?

jaydivingboard

I would say Rummynose yes but Cardinal Tetras no, Rummy's get about 2-3 inches whereas Cardinals only get about an inch. I can say from experience with rummy's I have 10 with an Angel in my 55

jake37

The only part I would strongly disagree with in this comment is that cardinals get quite a bit larger than an inch. I just tried to measure a few of mine - the smallest one are around an inch but the largest are just shy 2 inches. None of them (I think) are jumbo - just that some are nearing 2 years old and others are only 6 or so months old.

I would say Rummynose yes but Cardinal Tetras no, Rummy's get about 2-3 inches whereas Cardinals only get about an inch. I can say from experience with rummy's I have 10 with an Angel in my 55

MacZ

The four-year-old 5-6cm (1.9-2.3'') cardinals in my tank tell me the size-estimate is really pretty off.

MacZ

With permission, this is how Angels and Emperors look together. Mind you, the Angels are juveniles.

You must be registered to see images

riskybiscuits

Nice picture. I like the idea of that plus some Acara and some rainbows in a large tank. But that's off topic...

jake37

Can you take a better picture of the tetra. Our store rarely has them and when it does they always seem mislabelled.

With permission, this is how Angels and Emperors look together. Mind you, the Angels are juveniles.

MacZ

Not right now, this tank is in the room under my own tank in my neighbours appartment and they were hard to catch on camera when I was there to take pics. Buuut, here's a stock foto:

The eyes glow brightly blue in the males and green in the females and the back part above the black stripe is usually iridescent in blues and purples.
This is the best pic I could find from the 70 pics I took last time, shows the glowing eye perfectly IMO:

I'll be downstairs in the next few days and can take more pictures.

jake37

So they are both females. Part of the reason I asked is that vaguely I thought I read somewhere there were two different types of emperor tetra and one was much larger than the other.

EmiliyaCossack

I chose diamond tetras to house with my angels, but I don't have my angels yet (buying them privately from a breeder) so I bought my diamonds and they're pretty flashy in the right light. They'll get to two inches or so and they are active little guys! I figure since I have my schoolers in there first my baby angels when I get them will grow up nicely with them, we'll see.

MacZ

So they are both females. Part of the reason I asked is that vaguely I thought I read somewhere there were two different types of emperor tetra and one was much larger than the other.

Both on that pic are males. The eyes are blue, not green. Also you can see the yellow fringes on the fins, that are another sign. I just put the thing about the iridescence in the wrong part of the sentence. The iridescence is stronger in males!

There is a blue morph and a black morph besides the type morph. But they have definitely very different colour patterns.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DarkOne
Replies
Views
fishkeepernewbie
Replies
Views
Chanyi
Replies
Views