Angelfish and Nitrite poisoning

Corzz79

Hey,
I’m almost certain I’ve had a nitrite spike in my tank from a rooting plant I’ve missed and or, build up or bioload in the heating cover. I’m saying that, I’ve lost two angelfish, obviously from high nitrite poisoning. This is happened so quickly and I don’t think I caught it in time. I didn’t act right away, cos I only just did a little clean and water change before o noticed. Everything was good, but I missed the little plant and kept thinking it was ok.
Anyway, so I’ve lost two fish and I think I have two more that I may lose. I’m using prime and water changes, as well as some salt. They’re not eating and I know that’s not a good sign, but how long until I know they will be ok or if they’re suffering? I just don’t really know what to do in this case. I’ve turned their temp up a little bit. I did remove them to get them out of the spike. When I figured out the problem, I cleared it back to zero and then put the fish back in and the tank levels are still good, but the fish aren’t. How long will they or do they last after being in this kind of poisoning?
I’ve had them over a year and thought I would have toughen them up by the good foods I give them, but I thought wrong and it’s so sad to see and I’m totally devo

carsonsgjs

Do you mean nitrites or nitrates? Two different things, and different risks to fish. If you are seeing nitrites in an established tank then your cycle has been compromised by something.

So everyone has the full details of your tank, it’s probably best to fill out the emergency template to save you answering multiple questions.

mattgirl

I don't normally come to Angelfish questions but am making an exception this time.

How high did your nitrites go? A dying plant in an established tank shouldn't have spiked the nitrites up to dangerous levels. We need a lot more information before we can get to the bottom of why you've lost fish.

Please fill out the emergency template carsonsgjs posted.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
jake37
  • Question
Replies
Views
Corzz79
  • Question
Replies
Views