Angelfish And Neon Tetras?

1. wapooshe

wapooshe Valued Member Member

My plan is to get Angelfish and neon tetras when they are young so they grow together and don't view each other as food. Now I know I run the risk of Angels eating neon tetras as they are 1.5 inches adult size. But, do you think a large enough school of neon tetras will keep them safe? My main concern is the water temperatures My tank is 78F and I hear that temp will threaten their life span by a lot. Also my tank size is 75 gallons and I will be under stocking at 40 gallons worth of fish, so plenty room for the fish to keep their space from each other.

edit: if the two fish can live together what would be the recommended amount of neon tetras for the school?

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

It's a nice idea, but I myself, wouldn't risk doing it.

You might not want the temperature difference to be a problem like I may lead to being.

3. Zahc

Zahc Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't recommend keeping Neons at 78F long term. I would recommend you get Cardinal Tetras instead, they don't mind the warmer temps and will live a full and healthy life at 78F. They also get a tiny, tiny bit larger than Neons, which will help them out once the angelfish get mature.

4. OP
    OP
    wapooshe

wapooshe Valued Member Member

Did a search and seems Cardinal tetras live 79F to 82F and grow to 2 inches. Seems like a good alternative, but I also read that they move fairly slow and Angelfish can out swim them for food or if the angels get feisty one day and chase the cardinals.

5. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Neons like temp below 75f and angels like temps above 77f. Your temp sounds good for the angel but not for the neon. Switch it out and add in cardinals, and that would be good.

6. Corrie Williamson

Corrie Williamson Valued Member Member

My angels grew up with the neon and we had large neon and the angels eventually ate all but 3 of the neons. The water temperature is an issue too iblost a lot of neons due to a temperature spike at the start of summer and the temperature got arpynd 77 degrees or so.

7. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, neons and angels are not temp-compatible. Do rummynose tetras, black neons, or cardinals instead.

8. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

Angels can be moody, all they have to do is chase a little neon or cardinal tetra and nature will take over. Mine will eat anything under 2 inches, and I raised them from dime sized in a community.
    Agree there's no temperature overlap with neons and angels. Cardinals are a better fit temperature wise. Just my 2 cents.

9. M

Machine11 Well Known Member Member

I've had Angels with rummymose tetras and they also became expensive dinner.

10. queeqyo

queeqyo New Member Member

I agree with choosing cardinals instead! I've had a small school of cardinals in my 55g community tank for 6+ months with 4 angels and have never seen them show any interest in the tetras!