Angelfish And Guppy Suddenly Sick

jaymmacy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey, I’m pretty new to aquarium keeping. I’ve had my tank for about six months now. It’s a 20 gallon. I have 2 angelfish (one veiled, one koi), a fancy guppy, 2 ghost catfish, a twig catfish, and a balloon molly. I noticed last night that my veiled angelfish was sitting at the top of the tank with its fins clamped to its sides. I started looking at the fish closer and on all my fish I noticed little white dots. I was thinking it was ich so I bought medicine for it and did the first dose yesterday.

Tonight I came home and saw my koI angelfish was now also at the top of the tank with clamped fins, and now my guppy is alive but sitting on the bottom of the tank. It can still swim, it just seems to want to sit there. My fish are usually super interested in eating, but tonight only the ghost catfish and the balloon molly ate. What should I do to help my fish? I have no clue what’s wrong

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
HI jordan,

Welcome to Fishlore! Can I ask some questions?

How long have you had the tank?
Is it cycled? Filtered? Heated? What’s the temperature?

What do you feed them?

What do you do for maintenance? When do you do water changes? How much? When do you clean the filter sponge? How do you clean it?

Do you have a way to check your water parameters? Ammonia? Nitrite? Nitrate? Ph? The numbers would be helpful. If you don’t can you get it tested at your local fish store and ask for the exact numbers?

Your tank is overstocked. Your angels will get too big for your tank, plus if the two bond they will harass every fish in the tank. The ghost catfish need groups of 5 or more. The twig catfish, guppy and maybe molly is the only fish that can go in your tank.

I’m guessing it has to do with your water quality. The clamped fins would indicate stress which could be from anything but normally from ammonia/nitrite poisoning. Can you post a picture of you tank and fish? Also of the small dots, if possible.

Best things you can do is daily water changes using a good conditioner, preferably Prime, for a week or 2 until you can rehome or provide a proper home for them, with proper schooling groups.

OP
J

jaymmacy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I can’t take any pictures right now, but my tank was the top fin essentials 20 gallon starter kit. It has a filter and heater. I was keeping the temp at 75 degrees but I read that for ich it’s better to have the temp at 80 so I have it at that now. Ive had the tank up for about six months now and have gotten my water tested every month and a half or so and it’s always been normal they said. The angelfish were added like maybe three or so months ago and I haven’t had any issues at all with any fish until a few days ago when this all started.

I do consistent weekly water changes of between 25% and 50% and condition it with the API tap water super strength conditioner. I feed Aqueon shrimp pellets and the frozen blood worms occasionally.

It seems like my best bet would be to get a new tank. What size should I get? And what do you think it would cost. I assume I’d have to get a stronger filter and heater too so how much would it cost

OP
J

jaymmacy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Also I’ve just been going by what petsmart is telling me which I’m seeing is not the best every time I go in I’ve told them what fish I have already and my tank and what fish I’m thinking I want and they always tell me it’s perfectly fine I feel bad for my fishies now

Uber Archetype

Reaction score
Turn the heat up to 82F and add 2 Tbsp of salt dissolved in water to get things going in the right direction.

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Jordan Macy said:
I can’t take any pictures right now, but my tank was the top fin essentials 20 gallon starter kit. It has a filter and heater. I was keeping the temp at 75 degrees but I read that for ich it’s better to have the temp at 80 so I have it at that now. Ive had the tank up for about six months now and have gotten my water tested every month and a half or so and it’s always been normal they said. The angelfish were added like maybe three or so months ago and I haven’t had any issues at all with any fish until a few days ago when this all started.

I do consistent weekly water changes of between 25% and 50% and condition it with the API tap water super strength conditioner. I feed Aqueon shrimp pellets and the frozen blood worms occasionally.

It seems like my best bet would be to get a new tank. What size should I get? And what do you think it would cost. I assume I’d have to get a stronger filter and heater too so how much would it cost
That is a method to cure ich from the tank, but if you aren’t treating the tank it really isn’t doing much. The higher temp water speeds the ich’s life cycle so it free floats faster and that is when you are supposed to treat the tank, like a member said, adding salt will help but I would be careful as you have glass catfish is your tank and they can’t really tolerate salt or medication. If you do go with it, do half dosage of whatever you use. Normal treatment for ich is a tablespoon of aquarium salt for every 5 gallons.

I would be sure it is Ich before you start treating. Does it look like salt has been sprinkled on the fish? If so then it is Ich.

If you’ve had the tank for 6 months then you must have a cycle going. Unless you clean your filter with tap water. Did you change anything?

A new tank would be best, try looking for a taller tank for those angels, maybe like a 40 or 55 something along those line. You’ll also might be able to add more fish.

I’m not sure where you’re from but try checking out craigslist, letgo, offerup or facebook groups for aquariums. You can get them really cheap on there. PetSmart sells a tank and stand for around $300, the least. Petco has a $1 a gallon of tanks 40 gallons and under and half off on 50 or higher, but the tank alone. A good Hob for around $20 and a heater for around $15-20.

edit: I would recommend you buy the API master kit to test your own water. It’ll be a good investment.

OP
J

jaymmacy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I went to petal today and got new stuff. I got the biggest tank I could afford which was a 29 gallon since it’ll fit on my stand. I got a 45 gallon filter to handle the waste. I’m gonna set it up tonight and hopefully it helps my fish

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Jordan Macy said:
I went to petal today and got new stuff. I got the biggest tank I could afford which was a 29 gallon since it’ll fit on my stand. I got a 45 gallon filter to handle the waste. I’m gonna set it up tonight and hopefully it helps my fish
Move over the angels only, add some of the filter media from your current tank to add beneficial bacteria to your new tank. Did you buy the API master kit?

OP
J

jaymmacy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
When I came home that night to set the tank up, both angels were dead, the twig catfish, and both ghost catfish. The guppy and Molly were swimming around, and then the guppy dies but he did a weird thing so I’m hoping you know about it.

The guppy like went stiff ljke when they die and floated to the bottom of the tank, and as soon as it hit the bottom, it woke back up and started swimming again. 30 seconds later, he did it again. It happened probably four or five times before he actually died. What was that about?

New Threads