Angelfish and Discus

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by nibog, Jan 1, 2013.

1. nibog

nibogNew MemberMember

Looking to enhance/change around my stockings a bit. My breeding pair of angelfish, which currently have the run of my tank with a school of albino corydoras is going to be set up in a designated tank for the pair and this leaves me with a handful of hand picked angelfish juveniles I am keeping from my pairs first spawn. These are not going to be bred.

I would like to add in a school of discus to the system. Temp right now is 84*F. Soft water. I already have been doing 1-2 weekly water changes on the tank due to the angels breeding like crazy. It is moderately planted and has 2 fluval 405s being run on the system. Has been set up for 3 years.

Wanted your thoughts/experiences/tips etc. Also looking to may be add in a shoal again. I have harlequins in another tank but am debating if I want them or another type before adding them. Once they are in they will be a nightmare to catch due to the driftwood and plants.

2. Disc61

Disc61Well Known MemberMember

Hi Nibog, welcome to Fishlore.
    What size tank? How many Discus are you planning to get? what size Discus do you plan to get?

3. OP
    OP
    nibog

nibogNew MemberMember

Hi
    I chose the 75 gallon header but it is a 72 gallon 4 foot tank.
    I will be trying to source medium-large discus, preferably over 3". I was looking for a school of about 5-6. They will be going into the tank first and will be alone for approxiamately 1-2 months. Once they have adjusted and quarantine is completed I will add a half dozen albino cories back into the tank.

It will take several months before the angelfish fry are large enough to go into the system. Most are about the size of a dime at most now.

4. Disc61

6 is a good number for a group of Discus. 3 inch require much more work and really need daily WC's to grow them out. I have hard water though, Soft water is much better for them and often wonder if you can get away with less if you have softer water. with Juvies it is really all about the Water conditions. definitely keep them by themselves for the first several months. Also, starting out with Healthy Discus is half the battle.

5. OP
    OP
    nibog

nibogNew MemberMember

This probably will not be put into effect until Feb the earliest which is why I am planning/looking now. There are 2 local stores that can source discus and regularly have them available.

Would it be better to buy the group at once or in small groups? I still have the tank stocked with angels and cories to keep the filters cycled.

6. Disc61

I would get them all at once. just a little insight, most local shops get their Discus from Farms ( most of which are not healthy)
    2 I would recommend is KennysDiscus or Discus Hans. here are a few links - These are quality Discus from Malaysia and Germany.
    and at a very reasonable price.
    Kennys new shipment for January is available now and he has a new shipment every month that he post here
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showt...nt-60-different-strains-(Price-list-included)
    Discus Hans http://www.discusfishstore.com/

7. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Our favorite privately owned fish store actually stocks discus from Discus Hans :) So I can also speak for his Discus.
    That's where I got my Discus.
    Kenny also has an excellent reputation.
    Carol

8. Disc61

Thanks Carol, yes Hans does ship out to many local shops. he actually has a link on Facebook showing where his latest deliveries have went out to.
    he does deliver to many Shops. i would love to have a local shop that handles Hans Discus.

9. OP
    OP
    nibog

nibogNew MemberMember

Just went through Hans site and I will fully admit to a bit of drool.

Going home to start working on the hubby for an early birthday gift!

10. Disc61

You cannot go wrong with Hans

11. OP
    OP
    nibog

nibogNew MemberMember

Started hinting last night, he saw the prices and balked a bit. Think he might be willing to buy 6 or so if I get the juvenile 2 1/2" size. We'll see.

As far as having angels in also, I have read both negative and positive view points on both this forum (mostly threads from 2009 or so) and other responses via google search. Any personal experiences you can share?

12. Butterfly

I like this link to Discus Hans http://discus-hans-usa.com/ click on "colors from small to big" and you can see what they look like as small fish as some do change looks as they grow.

Carol

13. Disc61

Well, The negative info on Angels is probably something to do with A disease transfer? yes? It is nothing more than a myth. started way back when, but is well documented that Angels and Discus can and do Co-exist. Quality stock is the important part of that on both sides. thats my take.

14. Butterfly

My LFS said this was only applicable to wild caught angels. So I don't know.
    Carol
    Was just on chat with Hans and he said as long as they were adult Discus there wasn't any reason not to have them in the same tank. but if the dicsus were young they would have to compete too hard with the angels for food. Angels are more aggressive feeders.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013