Angelfish and danios?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Nanjo4, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Nanjo4Valued MemberMember

After my tank finishes cycling, I hope to get an angelfish. Just one, in my 29g cube tank which is 18 1/2 in square. I think the deep water would be good. My concern is that the four danios currently in residence might bother the angelfish. What do you think?

2. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I have 5 danios in my 55 gal with 4 adult angels. Mine have no issues, but they're also in a larger area. Angels don't like fast-moving, very active fish, and danios are exactly that. Danios also prefer cooler water, while angels prefer warmer water. I wouldn't recommend them together for their temp requirements alone (their temp ranges overlap by 1-2 degrees). I'm a hypocrite for having danios with my angels when I don't recommend them together, but that's only because I can't catch my danios to rehome them - they're so fast! I'm going to have some fishkeeper friends try to help me catch them in the next month or so to rehome them.

3. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Danios need a group of 6+.
    Also, they need cooler water than angels. In that small of a group they may bully angels, too.
    So no to keeping them together.

4. GvilleguyValued MemberMember

I keep danios with angels with no apparent problems. Stats: 40 gallon, 76F: 2 x adult angels, 7 x danios/glofish (plus other community fish). The danios don't bother the angels and vice versa. The danios only get chased by the angels when the angels are breeding. But all of the community fish have learned to stay clear of the angels when they breed. Going on 1 1/2 years with this setup and no dead fish.