Angelfish And Bolivian Ram Disease

treefrog18

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am having some issues with angelfish and Bolivian rams. I have had the fish for about 6 months (2 angels and 2 rams) and have them in a 29g aquarium. They have always been healthy up until about a month ago. It started with the angelfish, all of a sudden they were afraid of me when I approached the tank and would not eat. I assumed after doing some research that they had some sort of internal parasite so I ran the tank through 2 rounds of general cure and tried medicated flakes with metronidazole and praziquantel. Nothing worked and after about 2 week both angels died. Now after another week the rams are starting to act the same way. I have a clown pleco and 4 panda Corydoras in the tank as well and they are acting completely normal. I'm not sure what the next step is in treating these fish, I really don't want to lose the rams.

My parameters are 0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrites, 10 ppm nitrates, pH is 7.8 and they get a 30% water change every week. The tank is also heavily planted. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated, thanks

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It sounds like you are describing Hexamita. You have used the appropriate meds for Hex. Sometimes meds cure, sometimes they don't. You might be dealing with an intestinal bacterial infection. In that case, not much you can do. Might be a good idea to stop medicating and increase the WC's to 50% weekly. Keep the tank clean & try to save the tankmates.

treefrog18

Reaction score
It sounds like you are describing Hexamita. You have used the appropriate meds for Hex. Sometimes meds cure, sometimes they don't. You might be dealing with an intestinal bacterial infection. In that case, not much you can do. Might be a good idea to stop medicating and increase the WC's to 50% weekly. Keep the tank clean & try to save the tankmates.
Thanks for the response, I just did a 50% water change, all I can do now is hope for the best I suppose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom