Angelfish Aggression(?)

Allysoxx

Reaction score
I've had my angelfish for about seven months. They've been together in a 36 gallon, 2-foot high aquarium. Up until this point, they've been living peacefully, only chasing each other around now and again. Other than that, they seemed okay with each other, swimming closely without getting nosey. Recently, I've noticed that one of them has gotten more dominant, chasing the other away and occasionally into hiding. I didn't think much of it at first, thinking it was a short, territory dispute. However, I agreed to keep my eye on them. I turned to them earlier today and noticed a bit of lip-locking and nipping near each other's faces. I can't tell the sex of them, and I don't know if this is a sign of aggression or if they are a potential pair. I'll be out of town for the next few days, so I can't monitor them for a while. Can I get opinions on this?

II'll add some photos attached and see if anyone could sex them? For reference, the yellow one is the aggressor.

Attachments

OP
A

Allysoxx

Reaction score
Wrench said:
My opinion is your tank is too small and they are both males duking it out for territory.
Sorry! As soon as I got them, I knew I had plans for moving them into a larger tank once they got a bit older. I know they can get to be a decent size. Everything else I heard of stated that my tank would work for them until then, so I went with it.

I still have plans to move them and reuse my current tank in the future, but we're in the middle of moving houses pretty far away at the moment. Now is not the best time for changing aquariums. I'll keep an eye on them for now!

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Young angelfish, "body size of quarter or less." are schooling fish that live in groups for safety. But as they begin to reach sexual majority, they become territorial, and they start looking for a female which they will mate with for life. You may be able to tell which 2 angelfish have paired up, and either the pair, or the other angels may need to be separated.

I had 3 angels in my 55 gallon with other tropicals. two of the angels paired up, even layed eggs every few months. I never had to move the 3rd angel fish. But I think in more cases than not, you will need to remove all other angelfish but the mating pare,

New Threads