Angelfish Aggression?

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by sjudd, May 26, 2019.

1. sjudd New Member Member

Recently I've noticed that my most recent addition to my tank, the angelfish, has been chasing the two mollies I have. I've had the angelfish for about 3 months, but I've only seen this aggression recently. I've tried everything, creating hiding spaces and moving decorations around. Nothing has worked, and I'm not in a position to get a bigger tank (personally, I don't think it's a space issue, I think she's just a bully, but I could be wrong). Any suggestions?

2. A201 Well Known Member Member

Providing your tank is large enough maybe adding more schooling fish would help. The additional targets might be too overwhelming for the Angel's aggression.

3. Crazycoryfishlady Well Known Member Member

Your tank is roughly 23 gallons.
    Most people recommend a single angel be kept in a 30-40 gallon tank, they're sold fairly young, and some can get quite big.
    I believe this tank is 60 gallons if not more.
    And these fish are mostly adults in here.
    The angel in this video has eaten a full grown tetra/barb. It was one of the wide red fishes in the tank.
    And this was not a space issue.

I'm guessing your angel is hungry and looking for snacks, as well as it might feel cramped in only a 20 gallon tank.
    Is this tank a long tank or tall tank?
    A tall tank would create more problems.
    If you were to have a small tank you're using for an angel fish it should be longer than it is tall.

Most fish don't swim up and down, they swim side to side.
    So having close sides, and decor, and plants and other fish all moving around in a place that is supposed to be "yours" will make for a slightly stressful situation which might make you upset with your obnoxious neighbors.
    If you're unable to look into a larger tank, then I'd look into a smaller one to house the (only) 2 mollies right?
    Something that equates to 10 gallons or 9 gallons should be okay.
    But bigger is always better, except for when it comes to picking out your fish.
    And if you're unable to do either of those things, you might want to eventually look into rehoming the angel since it will likely outgrow your tank amd could possibly put your other fish and itself at risk for death.
    Some angels choke on the fish they try to eat, killing both in the process.

4. Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

Let's not forget that angelfish are a south American cichlid. That being said , they can be quite aggressive. At a young age they seem quite peaceful, but as they reach sexual maturity they get more aggressive. Hopefully your other fish will learn to stay out of the Angel's way.