Angelfish Aggression And A Few Other Questions. Help

1. NinyaCap Initiate Member

Hello, this is my first post and I'm seeking advice.

I've had two angelfish for about 4 months now in a community tank, I was not given a breeding pair at my LFS just two randoms in the tank so the gender was not known. They are now both mature as their tubes are visible and have been for roughly two months with no issues of aggression from either. Since they've been together they were inseparable especially when stressed during tank cleanings, etc.

-

But this has obviously changed, I was away from home for a day and came back ill so I didn't check on them, but when it was time to feed (later that night) I noticed both of them were beat up, one way way worse than the other. Ripped fins and scars. They were swimming together calmly as usual (inseparable) until I noticed the less beaten of the two biting the side of the other angel and then nipping the tail. Then they'd stop and go back to normal. I haven't noticed any lip locking and I believe them to be two males. The next day I purchased a divider as I simply cannot give one up I worry about them enough as is and I couldn't bear not knowing the care they'd be receiving from a random customer. I set it up enough for the other fish to pass above and below it to remain schooled, but alls the angelfish want to do is be with each other? Have I split up a breeding pair that was just getting rough? I'm not sure what to do, they're stressed without and with eachother as I've noticed the occasional clamped fin. Please help with advice, and sexing.

Water Paramiters:
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 10-20
    Treated wounds with melafix and some pimafix (they've suffered from fungus before)

Stocking:
    2 Angels
    1 Three-Spot Gourami
    4 Zebra Danios
    3 Panda Corys

Tank Size:
    36 Gallon

Links to file with pictures for sexing.
    (Hope that's okay)

Angelfish - Google Drive

I just need some advice and or suggestions, I worry way too much. Thank you for reading :)

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

It's hard to sex angels but I do think you may have 2 of the same gender. Is your tank well planted with lots of interruptions to lines of sight? That's the first thing I'd try but ultimately you may just need to move one of the fish or keep them permanently separated.

Can you get another tank? Angels have a different temperature range than the rest of your fish. There are some other stocking issues that we can help you fix if you're interested.

Welcome to the forum!

3. NinyaCap Initiate Member

Thank you for the reply!

I do have several tall plants but they always swim towards each other until the one just starts biting suddenly :( The best way to describe it is an abusive relationship. I'll keep them separated until I can hopefully find a place for a second tank. I'd love to hear the suggestions on the stocking if you have any. They all look and act pretty healthy to me but if a change is needed I'd be very open to it! Thank you so much for your reply!

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

You're welcome!

I would increase the numbers of each of your danios and cories. 6 each minimum, they do better in larger groups. You'll see more natural behaviour ;)

Watch out for that gourami, too. They can be territorial and aggressive just like angels!

What's the temperature of your tank currently?

5. NinyaCap Initiate Member

Alrighty :) I'd love to add some more friends for the both of them.

Ah, and yes I've already removed a Gourami from my tank, this one is way more mellow thankfully no problems with him so far.

My tanks temp is at 79F

6. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

That's not too bad. I actually keep my angels' tank on the low side just to prevent them from wanting to reproduce as it was causing them unnecessary stress. Is your heater adjustable? You might even try lowering the temp another degree or two. It may help.

7. NinyaCap Initiate Member

Yes, my heater is adjustable, I thought about doing that before, when they started to do what I thought was cleaning a surface, never did though. Again, thank you so much for all your help. I miss them swimming together, but I guess I'll see how they do once he's healed up. If not so good I'll try to get a second tank.