Angelfish advice wanted

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by bc111, Mar 22, 2010.

1. b

bc111 New Member Member

Hi. I'm relatively new to the aquarium world. I have a 4 gallon well established tank (learned more than I want to know about the nitrogen cycle with that experience) that has a dwarf gourami and a pleco (who is only 3 inches now but will be relocated when my new tank is ready). I have inherited a 50 gallon tank (previous tenents were turtles). I would love to set this tank up to house my pleco and angelfish. The gourami was purchased on the basis of bad advice from LFS and the pleco is the only roomate he will tolerate. I don't want to make the same mistakes with this tank. I cleaned it out (turtles are gross) and started it running again tonight. (but left same substrate) the new water is cloudy (did I mention turtles are gross) but I am willing to be patient because I want to do this right. My plan is to run it until the water gets clear, test the water and then add some fish to keep the nitrogen cycle going (should get a jump start because of the last tenents?) I would like to get something that would be okay with some angelfish but don't trust the fishstore advice. Was a little surprise to see this site recc: gouramis w/angelfish (not mine but maybe small tank is an issue?) I really want a tank with happy angelfish but unsure what to do next, also had a flash of panic that maybe the substrate left from the turtles could harbor an angelfish disease? Any advice would be appreciated - am I no rush to go out and get angelfish until tank is stable and I'm fine with waiting 3 months for that.

2. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

My Angel tanks houses Australian Rainbows, Long fin Leopard Danios, Bleeding heart tetras, Green Cories, Ottos, Black Phantom Tetras, I had Neon tetras but moved them because the rainbows were chasing them constantly. You can probably put the gourami there too.

3. jglove276

jglove276 Valued Member Member

welcome to fishlore. with angels you want to avoid fin nippers like some barbs.

4. Algae Eater

Algae Eater Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore! I have lemon tetras, gold tetras, otos, and a ram with my angels. I think they do better in an aged tank rather than a newly cycled one. Once you decide what else you want in the tank, you could add them first leaving the angels for last.

5. Flyfrod

Flyfrod Valued Member Member

Welcome! I agree with Algae Eater. Angels do much better in an established tank. As for tankmates, I have had lots of differant fish with mine even barbs with no problems.

6. OP
    OP
    b

bc111 New Member Member

Thanks

So if I want a pair of angelfish once the tank is established and will house my pleco with it how many other fish should I use to let the tank become established? I know some people buy "starter" fish and then return them but I feel better not making the fish move around so much. Any advice on the number I guess the pleco's growth potential comined with the space needs of the angelfish has me nervous.

7. genie

genie Well Known Member Member

If it were me... I would return the pleco and get a clown pleco or a bristle nose pleco because they don't get as large. A regular pleco can get to 18+ inches and that will quickly max out your tank for other fish. That is JMO.

That said, I have 2 angels in a 55 with red eye tetras, a clown pleco and one killifish. I feel like I am pretty close to max on that tank.

IMHO with a regular pleco and 2 angels you would be pretty close to max as well even though they are small now.... they grow fast. (Moderators, feel free to correct me if I am wrong here :))

8. a

acea091489 Valued Member Member

Agree.

9. N

Neji Valued Member Member

I never thought barbs were fin nippers until I had some of them myself :( I don't know what makes them so fin nippy :S Are all barbs fin nippers?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice