Angelfish Acting Strange?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by TeaandTomatoes602, Apr 16, 2017.

1. TeaandTomatoes602

TeaandTomatoes602 Valued Member Member

So the last few days my angelfish Ginko has been weirdly staying under the filter and swimming at an angle. When another fish or I get close, she swims away normally, but is back at that spot in a few minutes. I can't see any other symptoms except a reduced appetite, and no one else in the tank has any symptoms. I only noticed this after the last Water change (where I also planted the tank) I did about a week ago. She's in a 55 gal community tank with 2 blood parrots, 4 mollies, one red rainbow fish, and a twig catfish. My levels are
    0 ammonia
    0 nitrites
    50 ppm nitrates
    (I'm ordering some nitrate absorbers to keep it down)

eef70f87ad30a33d6819d2032d7cb4af.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
  2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Is she eating ok?

Does she seem stressed out? Could be the nitrates doing this.

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

How often do you do water changes, and how much do you change? Do you have nitrates in your tap?

4. OP
    OP
    TeaandTomatoes602

As far as I can see, she's only eating a little, definitely less than she used to. She seems stressed when she's at that angle, but not when she's just swimming. The last water change was two weeks ago which was a really deep cleaning. I usually do a deep cleaning once a month and a 20% water change every 2 weeks, but I've realized this isn't enough and I'm going to do smaller water changes more often from now on (probably 20% once a week with a deep cleaning once a month, is that a good schedule?). I also did a 20% water change today and I'm going to do daily 10% until nitrates come down. Do you recommend getting a nitrate absorber for the filter such as API nitrazorb? And yes there's about 5-10 ppm of nitrate in my tap water.

5. TexasDomer

I don't think you need a nitrate absorber at this point. Larger and more frequent water changes will keep them down. I would do 50% water changes weekly, and I personally gravel vac each time. Easier for me than one large gravel vac monthly, as there's less build up.

6. OP
    OP
    TeaandTomatoes602

Okay, I'll try that :) Will the angel be okay for now or should I move her to a hospital tank?? (Unfortunately the largest one I have is 5 gallons)

7. TexasDomer

If nobody is picking on her, I'd leave her. You're not trying to treat with anything at this time anyway.

8. OP
    OP
    TeaandTomatoes602

Should I try salt baths? Or a deshelled pea? Cause I feel like this is something with her swim bladder cause the only symptoms are trouble swimming and lack of appetite

9. TexasDomer

You could definitely try a deshelled pea. Not sure about the salt bath. I might fast the whole tank for a few days and then feed them all deshelled peas.

10. OP
    OP
    TeaandTomatoes602

Okay! I'll try that :)

11. Brian Adams

Brian Adams Valued Member Member

Beautiful Angelfish. I'm sorry to hear she's having difficulties. I've just gotten back into the hobby, so forgive my naive guesses, but she looks as if she is taking a defensive posture. have any of the other fish become a bit more aggressive toward her? Being in the corner, angled to provide the best view of the tank seems to translate to fear of attack.

Otherwise I might guess the onset of an air bladder infection? Many many years ago I had an Oscar that developed an air bladder infection. At first he would swim normal, but at rest he would float up to the surface at an angle. Just like your Angel. Except it quickly turned worse. He would begin to swim at an angle, until he would just float up completely sideways.

Please keep us posted! I'm taking care of Angelfish too, and am very much interested in your thread.

Good luck!

OH YEAH! BTW... Petco is having their Dollar Per Gallon Sale right now. If you need a bigger Hospital Tank you might want to check to see if your local store is participating. They're not the highest quality tanks, but for a Hospital/Quarantine tank it's hard to pass up.

12. OP
    OP
    TeaandTomatoes602

Thanks so much for the info! I haven't noticed any increased aggression lately from any of her tankmates. Sometimes I do catch her being aggressive towards others but not much lately. She also seems to do this under both filter currents towards the middle of the tank, with her face facing the back wall, so I'm pretty sure it's not that, but anything is possible! ;) Yeah just in case I'm gonna start feeding her (along with the others) deshelled peas and less food over all and see if she in particular improves. I'll also try low strength and short salt baths, and I'll do a 50% water change tomorrow and then test for nitrates again :). For the sale, I actually have to try to wait till the next one, as my family massively bans me from spending my money on my fishes unless they feel it's necessary... so I'm going have to save up money from a summer job and buy it before I go off to college (because then it will be 'necessary'...) but thank you so much for the suggestions TexasDomer and Brian Adams! Sorry for being a little TMI. I will definitely keep you posted. :)

13. Brian Adams

I've got my fingers crossed for you both!

14. OP
    OP
    TeaandTomatoes602

Today I did a half water change and the nitrates are almost the same as they were originally... Now she's having trouble getting to the top, and is shallowly breathing at the bottom. I've given her two salt baths and a pea... I'm considering euthanization at this point... I'm so worried right now what do you guys think?

Should I at least move her to the 5 gal with salt and air stones and try to medicate her with something?

15. Brian Adams

I'm sorry to hear she is getting worse.

The only thing I can think is to remove as much stress as possible. No artificial light, maybe a half dose of Prime or Stress Coat in the tank... Idk...

I wish I had a better answer.

16. OP
    OP
    TeaandTomatoes602

Already done. For now, I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

17. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Poor her. I hope she can make it.

I'm sorry Tea.

18. TexasDomer

I would do some larger changes. Even with 10 ppm nitrates in the tap, you should be able to get the nitrates below 25 ppm.

19. AvalancheDave

AvalancheDave Well Known Member Member

Have you tested pH? Are you using any chemicals other than dechlorinator?

20. OP
    OP
    TeaandTomatoes602

Thank you everyone :) I'm going to do another water change tomorrow morning. I usually use stress coat and seachem neutral stabilizer. I just tested my pH, and to my surprise it was at 6! I think this is caused by the new driftwood i put in cause I've never had this problem before. I think about 2 days after I added it was when my angel started swimming strangely too... I think this might be what happened. What sicknesses can low pH exactly cause?? My tap has an 8 pH, do you think when I do the next water change I shouldn't add my neutral regulator, or add some baking soda?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice